How common is "pitting" edema in your legs while pregnant?

I have had toxemia in both of my previous pregnancies, and I remember the doctor asking about fluid retention. He kind of made a big deal before about the fact that when I would push in on my legs, the edema caused it to leave an indent (pit).

Well, I'm doing the same thing plus I have gained a lot of weight since my last appointment, so I am pretty sure I am retaining water as well. I'm not sure if it warrants an extra appointment, or if I should just wait and bring it up at the next appt.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I've had it two out of three pregnancies and neither time was it a problem. It was the worst with my first and they did keep a closer eye on my blood pressure and checking my urine for protein (to check for pre-eclampsia). But I never had any issues. I did learn that drinking more water helps. It also helps to add LOTS of lemon to everything you drink. (I use about 2 or 3 lemons a day while pregnant.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It could be a sign of preeclampsia which needs to be carefully monitored. I had it with my son. Take it easy and keep your legs up as much as possible from now on. Good luck.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 4:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Things that help, elevate your legs and feet when ever possible.. wear stockings, hose or if you have no money for the expensive ones in the medical supply store try spanks or panty hose.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 4:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Not sure. That wasn't a problem for me.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2011