How can I encourage my 1 year old to sleep in her own bed and fall asleep in there on her own?

My 1 year old has slept with us since day one and still wakes up at night. my husband is ready for her to be in her own bed. during naps she is usually rocked and held. Obviously sleeping in her own bed is new and scary for her. But it's time and I've started the ferber method, any advise or suggestions. Its killing me to let her cry, she can scream for over an hour and then when she finally falls asleep its only for 15 minutes or so. If I know it will be over soon I will continue, but its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel...

amynlexi

Asked by amynlexi at 3:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just read to her and stay in there with her a couple of nights until she gets used to being in there then, only read to her stay til she falls asleep and see what happens.

Only my idea, I have never tried it. :)
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 4:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We did it cold turkey, sort of. But we also started transitioning her to her own room at 6 months old.

We would do it in increments of 5. After 5 minutes of crying, go in to the room (do not talk, turn lights on, etc) gently rub her back, calm her down as much as possible, and leave. If she continued to cry, raise it to 10 minutes, repeat. Our daughter never went passed 15 minutes.

You have to be very strong willed to do this. She will cry, she will scream and she will make you feel horrible in the process. But just remember the transition is for the best.

Within about a week our daughter slept through the night in her own bed. Beforehand she had been sleeping with us in a bassinet.

G
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Do remember she might need a night light or a "lovie" to help her fall asleep. Our daughter will not sleep without her musical aquarium or her seahorse. Both plays music for around 12-15 minutes. They 100% help, and if you don't have them I suggest looking into getting one.
    Razelda

• If you need some guidance with this, we took the advice of What to Expect During the Toddler Years book. It REALLY helped us.

Here is a link to the seahorse she has. She is 20 months old

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kids/toys2009/shopbyage/birth1/PRD~422221/FisherPrice+Ocean+Wonders+Soothe+and+Glow+Sea+Horse.jsp
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Beginning (now) with her naps, try to get her to learn to fall asleep in her room, without 'help' (rocking, cuddling) from anyone. Just be close enough for comfort. Once she is comfortable with her bed, in her room, as a place to fall asleep; when she awakens there in the night, it will not be a fearful place and she can more easily just go back to sleep there...without assistance/comfort from you.

When she sleeps with you, does she sleep through the night? If so, it will be easier for her to learn to sleep in her own room.

I know some believe in letting the baby cry until they learn that it will not get them back into your bed. And I know that this method works. But to me (and this is personal preference) it is sad to think of my child frightened (even if for no "real" reason) and calling for me; but finding I will not come.

Good Luck :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2011