Can a child with ADHD have a "normal" life?

vlewis77

Asked by vlewis77 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes of course.

Answer by gemgem at 4:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Absolutely.
    Anonymous

• I am very worried about my 6 year old son, he has not yet been diagnosed but exhibits many of the "symptoms" . Hurts my heart that he will be labeled, kids are so mean :(
    vlewis77

Comment by vlewis77 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Not to scare you but I have found that the adults my son encountered were the mean ones. The kids were fine.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Of course! My son ADHD too. But, like FootballMom said, the adults are worse than the kids.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My husband had ADHD still does he lives a normal life with no meds.I have ADD and i live a normal life i take no meds.Finding a way to live and work around it is the most important. Giving children chemicals that alter their growing brains chemistry is not a good thing.
    Mia81

Answer by Mia81 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• The best thing you can do for him is to make an appt. w/ your Dr. They can discuss medication options w/ you. I know some people resist meds, but proper meds along w/ a behavior plan can help him tremendously. My son is almost 20 y/o. He is ADHD. He graduated 3rd in his class in '09 w/ a 4.4 GPA & had a very normal life growin up. Most of his peers will be tolerant since it's quite common. Most adults should be as well. There will always be those who feel that it's just a parenting defect or a personality or behavior flaw in the child. They just dont get it. Try your best to ignore them. Hope you get the help for your son. You will see improvements w/ the suggestions I mentioned. (*PS Keep his teachers in the loop so you can work together) GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yep my son was treated badly more by adults like the teachers then the kids. The kids thought he was cool.

Answer by gemgem at 4:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My 20 yr old son has ADHD. He graduated high school, he has a job, he has a serious girlfriend, he drives a car, he has friends. He still lives at home right now but he is working to save money so he can get a place of his own. He is leading what I would consider a pretty normal live despite having ADHD.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 4:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My husband is ADHD, and hasn't been on medication for it since he was 11. As a child he played sports, had friends, was a boy scout, and made great grades. I would say he's had a "normal" life.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2011