What is a good natural stool softener 4 a toddler?

bowiegirl

Asked by bowiegirl at 8:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my oldest was a toddler we had to find a natural stool softener. I asked his doctor about it. The doctor told us to take a little bit of prune juice. No more than a 1/4 cupof prune juice. And it can be mixed with another juice to help with the taste. We mixed it with fruit punch. And it really helped our oldest son. To this day anytime he has problems we bring out the prune juice and fruit punch mixture. Hope this helps.
    melissaevans26

Answer by melissaevans26 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Adding some flax seed to his foods will add bulk and make it easier to go. It is also a great source of omega three :), easy to hide, and has a nutty flavor.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 8:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My daughter has the same problem. I asked the pediatrician, and they said the safest way to get their bowls to move, is a little juice (half and half with water) she said to give her a cup of that, and it seems to work with her.
    babygrlsmommy

Answer by babygrlsmommy at 8:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i give my son either apple juice or a little prune juice or just let him eat some watermellon... that usually does the trick
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 10:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Gerber has Apple Prune juice Combo, and works great.
    Give more Water, and fresh Apples... Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• I give my little ones V8 fusion juice and since we started it we don't have this "hard" problem anymore! LOL the juice has a serving of veggies in every glass.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• At my house.. grapes, grapes, grapes. Applejuice uncut or watermelon..I have weird kids I guess
    Anonymous

• Apple juice, prune juice, flaxseed, grapes... avoid things with rice, bananas, or lots of carbs.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• papaya is the best flaxseed oil apples rasins grapes cantalope
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• PROBIOTICS! Probiotics are basically bacteria (pro means "for" and biotic means "life"). Acidophilus is the main bacteria found in the digestive tract. Sometimes the number of acidophilus in the tract can get low, and hence cause constipation. Many stores (CVS, Walgreens, GNC, The Vitamin Shoppe, etc) sell children's acidophilus or other children's probiotics (acidophilus isn't the only kind of bacteria that's good for the digestive tract). This is a very natural way to end constipation, since the purpose of acidophilus is to break down what is in the digestive tract so that it is easier to pass. Not only will these probiotics soften the stool, they also regulate the digestive system (meaning your child will poop every day like he is supposed to). I definitely recommend you try a children's probiotic. I take the adult acidophilus, and you know how many women complain of constipation during pregnancy? Haven't had that problem ... far from it!
    tippymorgan08

Answer by tippymorgan08 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2008