Soap scum/hard water and shower doors. Help!!

I can't seem to find a product out there to get rid of it. What has worked for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Magic Eraser?

Simply Green
    Anonymous

• We moved into a house that had very hard water. We installed a water softener immediately, but the damage to the existing shower doors had been done. I have been searching for something that works and so far nothing does. The hard water stains are here to stay, I'm afraid. I've used magic erasers, CLR, straight vinegar with baking soda, dryer sheets, scrubbing bubbles, Kaboom and a few more I'm sure I'm forgetting. None of it worked.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We have hard water too. I've always used the 'clean shower' sprays after every shower. It works to prevent the build-up you are battling now. I have had problems with the minerals (mostly calcium) building up in our shower heads. I take them off and soak them in vinegar. It works like a charm. I don't know how you could get the vinegar to stay on the shower doors long enough to work ... maybe put it in a spray bottle and spritz it every 5 mins until it breaks down the crusty build-up. GL
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Zep makes a shower, tub and tile cleaner. You can get it at Home Depot. It has a very strong horrible smell, so I would pick up a face mask if you use it. The fumes can make you cough. You spray it on and leave the room for about 5 minutes and then go back in a scrub with a sponge (scrubby side). It takes off a good amount of hard water deposits along with soap scum if that is present. Smells horribly caustic, but works really well. I have also used the magic eraser and that takes soap scum off but I don't know how effective it is on hard water deposits. Never hurts to try.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Limeaway and Kaboom
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• .

Soap scum is a film that develops around showers, sinks or bathtubs. The film is made of minerals in the water combined with the soap used in these locations. Chemical cleaners are available that remove soap scum, but they also create potentially harmful odors and leave chemical residue on surfaces that you and your family touch. Natural soap scum removers are easily made at home and remove the grime without harming you and your family.

sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 11:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

1. Distilled White Vinegar
      Distilled white vinegar is mildly acidic, which makes it an excellent all-natural soap scum remover. The acids in distilled white vinegar dissolve the mineral and soap buildup that create soap scum so that the film is easily wiped away. To use distilled white vinegar as a soap scum remover, either apply it directly to the soap scum or mix equal parts distilled white vinegar and water in a squirt bottle. Spray the vinegar or vinegar solution onto the soap scum from the bottle. Wipe away the film using a cleaning cloth or paper towels.
      sarchasmicangel

2. Lemon Juice
      If you find the scent of white vinegar unappealing, try using lemon juice on your soap scum problem instead. Lemon juice is just as acidic as distilled white vinegar and works just as well for removing soap scum. The difference is that lemon juice has a citrus smell that some find more pleasant than vinegar. Another difference is cost; lemon juice is more expensive than white vinegar. Use lemon juice in the same way you would use vinegar, by spraying directly onto soap scum or by mixing equal parts lemon juice and water and spraying that onto soap scum. (Diluting the lemon juice with water will help with the more expensive cost of the juice as you will use less juice to clean this way.)
      sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 11:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

3. Rubbing Alcohol
      Rubbing alcohol, also known as isopropyl alcohol, is used in many commercial cleaning solutions. This alcohol is useful for cleaning soap scum from glass as well as tile surfaces. Try combining 1 cup of rubbing alcohol with 1 cup water and 1 tbsp. white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray this mixture onto any surface affected by soap scum, then wipe with a cleaning cloth or paper towels. Using alcohol removes soap scum and gives you the peace of mind knowing that no harmful chemicals were used to clean your bathroom.
      sarchasmicangel

4. Thank you sarchasmicangel I will give it a try.
      Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2011