What do you think of this statement?

Before he addressed the crowd that had assembled in the St. Louis Hyatt Regency ballroom last November, Lt. Gen. John F. Kelly had one request. "Please don't mention my son," he asked the Marine Corps officer introducing him.

Four days earlier, 2nd Lt. Robert M. Kelly , 29, had stepped on a land mine while leading a platoon of Marines in southern Afghanistan. He was killed instantly.

Without once referring to his son's death, the general delivered a passionate and at times angry speech about the military's sacrifices and its troops' growing sense of isolation from society.

"Their struggle is your struggle," he told the ballroom crowd of former Marines and local business people. "If anyone thinks you can somehow thank them for their service, and not support the cause for which they fight - our country - these people are lying to themselves. . . . More important, they are slighting our warriors and mocking their commitment to this nation."

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We have soldiers that are sooo committed! I couldn't be more proud of them. I have seen women who are so strong and have babies with their hubby on webcam because he is in the military. They not only risk their life but they give up time with their kids because they believe in the cause. It is hard to say thanks for all you do, thanks for all the sacrifice...but really it's not necessary! We just need to support our troops!

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• agree
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Ooh-Rah!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 5:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• depends on what he means by supporting the country, which I won't do blindly. but I certainly do appreciate those who serve, even when I don't agree with everything they are asked to do.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Just because we don't believe in why they are there, doesn't mean we don't appreciate them serving in the name of our country. We still look at them as heroes for doing what is asked of them. Being against a war doesn't make you against the soldiers or make you unpatriotic, if you don't believe in something we have the right in this country to speak out about it, there isn't anything unpatriotic about that.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I absolutely agree with him!

And I knew that at least someone wouldn't understand what he was saying. I wish I had been wrong.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I agree with his assessment.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• AGREED!!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2011