Is this a sign potty-training is a LONG way off?

my 2 year old - turning 27 months this month to be exact - truly does not mind walking around in her own poop. she's always off playing with her toys or catching bits & pieces of her favorite cartoon on TV, and i also have a 4 and 1 year old, so ill admit i dont always know right away when her pull-up is dirty. most of the time i wont even know until she comes up to me to hug me or something and i smell it. im pretty good with changing her frequently, however, i know with children her age they dont need to be changed as often as my 13 month old does.

ive tried rewards, taking her every 30 minutes, letting her go panties only, you name it. this girl just aint ready! and the fact that she doesn't care when she's poopy- makes me wonder how long til she WILL be ready. =( anyone who can relate or offer a success story? lol

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was having a rough time potty training my daughter and I found one thing that worked. We practiced having her pull her panties down by herself. Once she got that..we tried the potty training..She would not want to go in the potty AT ALL. Thennn I decided to take her to the store and let her pick out like 3 packs of stickers. I told her she only gets one of the stickers when she pees or poops in the potty. I kept them hidden and only let her pick out one when she peed or pooped in the potty. Then she would run and stick it on her dresser and show me it. She was so proud everytime! It was something that was cheap and would last awhile and it worked for us! Lets just say her dresser is completely covered in beautiful stickers! :) lol
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 1:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• lol!! . my son totally.. he was trained at 3 months before he was 3 loL!~~ good luck!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• GL with that. I don't know if its a LONG way off, but it does sound like she's just not there yet. Hang in there, though, she'll get there.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 5:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Whatever it is, just remember: this too shall pass. Before you know it, your daughter will be heading off to kindergarten and assuredly will not still be in diapers. Relax and she'll let you know when she's ready. In the meantime, don't stress out or pressure her, as it won't cause her to learn any sooner and will only give you a major headache (I speak from experience!). She'll get it, in her own time :-)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'm sorry honey my son was trained by 2. Girls are diff to train then boys though. My son thinks that a fart is the funniest thing ever so I'd have him fart in the toilet & eventually started pooping. :) But like I said girls are different.
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 5:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• lol thanks! ive heard it takes much less time when they're 3 or closer to 3 to potty-train, so i guess that is one pro of it. my 4 year old, was having potty-success by this age, however it took 4 solid months for her to be completely trained. maybe its better this way since the process should go easier the older she is when she learns...
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2011