Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support Question...

This isn't for me, but a girlfriend of mine receives child support from what can only be referred to as a deadbeat. He left her pregnant, "lost" his job, and was only ordered to pay her $75 per month while he was receiving unemployment.

Long story short, he filed for a review of their case when the unemployment ran out hoping they would DECREASE it from $75 (really?!), but instead they said he was capable of working 40 hours a week at minimum wage, and INCREASED it by a couple hundred dollars. The notice that she received that her child support was increased was dated the end of January, but the amount owed did not increase then, nor did it the first of February. She thought it would reflect in March for sure, but it is still showing that he was only obligated for the old amount for that month.

Now to the question...if you have went through a change in child support, how long did it take for it to actually start being handled as the new amount? And we were both thinking they probably wouldn't make him go back and pay more for last month would they?


Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 37 (93,457 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • When we did increases (and we do them every 2.5 yrs and have since 98) they would have to be signed off on by a judge, given to child support, inputted into the computer and then the change would be reflected. This can take time sometimes. I think the longest it ever happened with ours was 3 mths. Have her call child support and ask them if they have received the signed order by the judge yet. Ask them since the judge stated it would change at that time if there would be an arrears tacked on since he knows it has changed. They should be able to answer those questions. If the order simply hasnt been picked up (and this has happened to me) tell them to go pick it up.

    Answer by gemgem at 4:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • My ex had to pay 200 more after we went to court and he wanted it lowered and I got that amount the next month.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • I think the longest my friend had to wait was 3 months...I'm not positive though. I agree with gemgem, give them a call and ask.

    Answer by metalhealthmom at 5:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • It also depends on what he earns and gives them. They can only send what they get. But, they keep track. Tell her to try not to depend on it. Save it if she can. That way she will have emergency money when she really needs it.

    Answer by Kimimale at 5:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • Kimimale...Lol! Believe me, she is aware of that...even when it was $75, she never actually received that amount unless it was being garnished...and since he is just sitting unemployed now, she doesn't even have hope of ever seeing a dime. But, at least it gives her something enforceable if it comes to it.

    Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • gemgem...that makes sense. Thank you!

    Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2011