Does anyone have a child who is NOT picky, but also eats like a bird and is underweight or on the lower end of the scale because of it?

i have this problem with my 4 year old... she will eat anything you put in front of her, or atleast try it. the problem is, even if i give her small portions (like smaller than i would give my 13 month old), she NEVER finishes it. she always claims she's full after several bites. there are times she will finish her meals, but they are few & far between. and i think because of this trend, is the reason she weighs 32 pounds and is in the 3rd percentile for weight.

the doctor has become concerned, since she's growing up just fine (she's 41.5 inches) but not gaining weight. i think she's gained like half a pound since June. i can't force the girl to eat, so i'm really out of options. the doctor suggested giving her Carnation Instant Breakfast, mixed with whole milk, with meals, twice daily, and it has had no effect on her weightgain since i started it 2 months ago.

my mom said something about the possibility of a gluten allergy, which causes children to have very loose and nasty bowel movements (a problem she's had since birth) and causes them to have trouble gaining weight. so i am exploring this option. if its not that though, i really dont know what else to do.

it does not affect her activity level (infact, i would say her energy level is quite unnatural LOL) or her learning or anything of that nature. so maybe, i have no reason to be worried, and she's just thin?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You could check into gluten it wouldn't hurt. I know my oldest was very small when he was this age and when he turned 4 he fell off the chart. He was developing normally so the doctor wasn't to concerned, although she did say give him things like peanut butter, ice cream stuff like that. Once he hit 12 he started to gain some weight and now at 14 he still only weighs about 95 lbs. My middle child was always a great eater and in the 95% for weight until he turned about 10. Now he is 12 and weighs about 72 lbs. With him he is very concerned with what he eats so we make a lot of smoothies with fresh fruit and protein.

I think is she is acting normal and playing and growing then she might be okay, although as I said before it doesn't hurt to have her tested.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My son started small, but once he hit 3, his weight and height changed dramatically. He doesn't eat much either. I believe when he's growing, he quits eating. This goes on for up to 3 weeks, then suddenly he can't get enough to eat at which time I discover he needs new clothes again.
    BSWSC

Answer by BSWSC at 1:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2011