Sign language

Do you use sign language with your baby? If so, do you think it is helpful? I didnt use it with my first son, but when my 2nd son was born with Down Syndrome i used it with him and then my other 3 boys along with words. I think it helped ease the frustration when trying to communicate what it is he was trying to say. I think it is important to also use words with the sign. Now Dominic is 4 and is able to express more and more what he needs or wants.

team21

Asked by team21 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was thinking about teaching my daughter because growing up I was friends with deaf people its a really good skill to have:)
    Stinson90

Answer by Stinson90 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I used it with my son, and I always said the words when I signed too. I started around 6 months, and just started doing signs whenever I said certain words. We even took a couple classes for fun. He's two now, and his vocabulary is really great. I thought it helped a lot, and eased a lot of frustration when they want to communicate but didn't have the words verbally yet. Even if someone just did a few signs, like 'more', 'milk', 'eat', 'drink', 'sleep' or 'bed', 'all done' and maybe a few others, it could help. Before he could speak, he could tell me he wanted a banana or cheese or whatever he knew signs for. It probably prevented some (of course not all) meltdowns.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think that sign language is a good way to communicate with your children when they are so small. I didn't do it with my children because I didn't know about it when they were growing up. It would have been so much easier if I could have had that way to talk with them, instead of guessing what they wanted .
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 5:42 AM on Mar. 4, 2011