Do you think SAHM's get a bad rap?

We were at the grocery store as a family the other day and an older woman was standing behind us in line. She started nonesnsical chit chat and then asked my husband what I did for a living... he said she stays at home... her response... bless her heart thats a shame... WHAT? lol

So now i need pity... heck before ppl just thought I was Peggy Bundy eating bon bons and watching oprah. UGH ppl

Asked by Jessesmomma2009 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Everyone has an opinion on it. The only one that matters are the ones who live in your home.

Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I've heard "that sucks" before, lol.  Yes, pity me because I CAN sit at home and watch Soap Operas. 

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yes it totally gets a bad rap I had this girl tell me I was a SAHM because I wasn't smart. WTH come on now I'm a SAHM because I don't want to put my child in a day care where they hardly take care of you child plus my husband makes enough money for us to live on without me working and staying home to take care of our child.

Answer by Stinson90 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• A lot of people are jealous. Polls/studies have been done and the findings are that the majority of women would choose to stay home with their kids if only they could afford to. She's just a hater because she likely didn't have it that way. lol!

Answer by LuckyStarr28 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I did go back to work for 6 weeks and it didnt work for us. Hubby loved the daycare but hated DS being away from us. Im just blessed we can afford one income... LOL Lucky you got it!!

Comment by Jessesmomma2009 (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I agree with Lucky! Jealousy is the key word on both ends. I work and get shit for not staying home. And when I did stay home I had to listen to bs about that too! Women were jealous that I was able to stay home and now they are jealous that they are "stuck home" when they wish they could work. Its always a catch 22

Answer by Steph319 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Like I said shes probably from the generation who fought for the right to be treated equally. They dont understand why we choose not to "have it all". I tell my mom all the time why would I want it all? That sounds exhausting. I am perfectly happy spending my days at home & every available hour with my kids. They are worth more then a paycheck to me.

Answer by gemgem at 5:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I got those kind of responses when I worked full-time and I got those kind of responses when I was a SAHM. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Fortunately, I don't give a damn what anyone thinks of me.

• Normally older people are THRILLED when I stay at home with my son so that's strange. My grandmother basically told me that if I didn't stop working so much my son was going to grow up to be a serial killer or something.

Answer by metalhealthmom at 5:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Most people I'm around these days don't think anything of it that I'm a SAHM. My EX co-workers however (a catty bunch they were) would say "Oh, must be nice!" I would just respond with "yes....yes it is nice".

Answer by slw123 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2011