Because: You're going to die!

This is what I answer my kids with when they ask >

but why? do we need a coat
but why? do I have to clean my room
but why? do I have to eat dinner
but why? do I need a bath
but why? do I have to go to school
but why? do I have to go to bed
but why? can't I go play at the park all the time

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 5:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• You're joking.....right?!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• yes, instill fear into them so they will never ask you anything again. great parenting technique mom! ....................
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• This isn't something I would say to my own but okay.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• What do you really tell them?
    Onmyown2727

Answer by Onmyown2727 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Okay, I'm sorry.  I tried to be nice and non judgemental but COME ON!  That just seems wrong on so many levels to me!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• And here are my answers

but why? do we need a coat Because otherwise you will be cold & uncomfortable & I love you too much for that
    but why? do I have to clean my room Because its messy & its something we all have to learn
    but why? do I have to eat dinner If you dont you will be hungry later & I want you to eat healthy
    but why? do I need a bath Because you dont want to be the stinky kid no one wants to play with
    but why? do I have to go to school Because I dont want you to be a big dummy lol
    but why? do I have to go to bed Because you have school & youre tired.
    but why? can't I go play at the park all the time Because like isnt always about play time.

But hey, thats me.

Answer by gemgem at 5:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I would have said it worked meaning if I really did this, so if any one is trying this at home, ......now's the time to say.....
    of course it's a joke, please, get a handle on your saddle already !

and really do not say this of course.. jok -y ****
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• OMG. I love cafemom.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• LOL. sorry. i have not eaten dinner yet so my blood sugar is low and i am on the crabby, sensitive side. GLAD it is a joke =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Oh, please. There's nothing wrong with scaring a small child into submission. I tell my son if he doesn't get his butt back into bed the gargoyles are going to get him. He's not sure what gargoyles are but it sounds scary so he hauls it back to bed. Hey, my dad used to tell me that and I'm totally fine!

No, in all seriousness, I do tell my son that. I don't know about death threats. However, when you think about it, what's she's saying is accurate. You COULD DIE if you don't follow what she's saying. No coat? If your immune system is already weakened, you could relapse into a worse cold which could develop into pneumonia and DIE. Don't clean your room? They could grow up to be hoarders and live in unsanitary conditions and DIE. If they don't eat dinner, they could become malnourished and DIE. I don't see how not going to school could kill them, give me some more time, I'll figure it out. No bath? THINK ABOUT IT.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 5:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2011