Am i wrong?

My son has not had a nap all day long. He was getting to where he's so tired he was getting mean and crying about everything. I gave him a bottle nd he threw it. I laid down with him and he just wantes to pinch and hit me. So I put him in his roomin his bed and shut the door. Was hoping he would go to sleep but he just cried the whole time! After about 8 mins i went and got him. He was still laying in his bed. I got him out and he was still whiny and being mean. I thought about putting him back in there but I just can't let him cry it breaks my heart ):
it has beeen 2 hours since I've done it. He has been layin with me on the couch and he is so tired he keeps falling asleep for like 2 mins but then wakes up!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• awh... my son would fight sleep like you couldn't believe either - this usually means just put him to bed earlier...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It's okay to let him cry it out. I know that it's the hardest thing to let your child cry like that, but you have to understand that he's not suffering and not hurting. He's crying, having a tantrum, being mean because he's over tired. He needs to get it all out before he can relax and go to sleep. Being that he was still in his bed was a good sign that he'd probably have settled down quickly and gone to sleep. It's okay to let him put himself to sleep, infact it's important that he learns that. It's good that he's settled down and is laying with you, but next time I suggest letting him stay in his room. By getting him out and comforting him you're showing him that it's okay to throw a tantrum. That mommy will save him when he gets like that, and you really don't want to instill that in him. Especially at an early age.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Oh and I want to also say .. You're not wrong for what you did, if that's what you feel is right. You're his mom and know what's best. Just from a long term point of view it is best to let him work it out and know that his behavior isn't welcome. That he needs to calm down and just take a nap. But again, do what you feel is right.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It's wonderful that he stays in his bed. Try giving him more time to get to sleep if it happens again (like 15 minutes). Also try reading a few books to him while he lays in his bed to help him settle down. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Thanks all (:
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2011