Tutors or Learning Centers

My son needs a math tutor, How much do you spend on your tutors & how often do they go?
Have you ever tried sylvan or another learning center?
What was that experience like?

Mblessesd4x

Asked by Mblessesd4x at 5:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I worked for University Instructors. We worked through a contract at the school through funding by the NCLB. We charged $20 an hour otherwise.

Answer by gemgem at 5:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I had my child at a Huntington Learning Center for 9 months. He did A+ work there but it did not transfer over into the classroom setting. It was a total waste of $4,000.
    Anonymous

• When I tutor, I charge $10 per hour, but I know that it can be a LOT higher. I have never used a learning center before. One thing I think I would like about tutoring over a learning center is the level of customization you get with a tutor...they will go at your child's pace and abilities, and you will get more time focusing on your own child's individual problem areas.

I'm sure neither would "hurt", I would call both and see what they offer.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My son goes to Sylvan and has gone from flunking 4 classes to passing ALL of his classes in less than 2 months. It is well worth the $300 a month that I am spending. At Sylvan he goes at his level and pace, they work on homework and projects with him and meet with me regularly to talk about his progress. If he wasn't at Sylvan he would have flunked the first semester of his freshman year of high school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am not sure how much they cost you can do a search and try to find one that is compilable to what you want to pay
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:16 AM on May. 16, 2011