My teen stepson is still wetting the bed and tries to hide it from everyone, my husband is having a hard time talking to him about it, what do I do?

Reader4Life79

Asked by Reader4Life79 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Had the problem with my son and kept being told he would out grow it from the time he was 5. He was 10 and still wetting the bed. He was really getting embarrassed by it. I brought it up to his dr. who refered me to a uroligist. He put him on Tofranil and was told he should out grow it by time he was 13. He told me it could go on longer. Thankfully he did out grown it at about 12 1/2 and we weaned him off the meds. His self confidence went up big time once he was on the meds and not wetting the bed. I liked it because I did not have the extra laundry to do and the terrible smell in his room all the time.

My son wanted to do sleepovers with Grandma and Papa and wouldn't because of wetting the bed. Once he was on the meds he felt confident in going on sleepovers because he knew he would wake up dry. I'm sure it is embarrassing for your stepson as well. You may want to talk to his dr about putting him on something to help.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 1:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The most common causes are: chiropractic (vertabrae out of line), emotional, sleeping too soundly, or diet. Talk to your family Dr. When the boy goes in for a checkup, the Dr will know what to look for.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Take him to the Dr. Like Kimimale said, usually when that is happening in their teens it's due to an underlying problem.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Take him to a urologist and rule out any physical reasons.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• He needs to be taken to the doctor and be diagnosed with the problem that is causing him to wet the bed. There is most likely a solution for it, but it's not going to be remedied if everyone ignores it. Take him aside and let him know that you and him can figure this out, even as awkward and embarrassing as it may be. Keep it just between you and him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My step son does the same thing and the doctor said he will out grow it by the time he's 10. Well he turns 10 next week and he still does it so we have to take him back for further testing. The doctor told us its either an emotional problem or a physical problem. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 6:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• At this age you should get a doctor's advice. My cousin used a nasal spray that helped a lot.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Go to the doctor. He could have a physical or mental issue causing the bedwetting.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• He has been to the doctor before and they said he was supposed to out grow it. He is 14 right now. He has only been living with us for about 5 months now. Before that he lived with his mother who treated him like crap. I dont doubt that it is emotional, but his father told me he did it until he was 15 and all three of his kids still wet the bed all of the time. The other two still live with their mother in Florida and us in Georgia. His dad "talked" to him today and all that was said was that he would let us know next time he does it. It's happening atleast 3-4 times a week. I suggested a dr again, but his dad said he didnt think it would help. He doesn't have to clean the mess up or smell it, I do.
    Reader4Life79

Comment by Reader4Life79 (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Get him to a doctor; if there is not a physical issue, get him to a therapist

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2011