What's it gonna take? (to get my dd to do her HW)

OK she got home from school she had a snack I let her play for an hour then I reminded her of her hw she heard me but didn't do anything I let 10 mins. go by and tell her what did I ask of you she continues to play but I know she heard me I let it go and again I remind her. She is ignoring me and the hw she does not like to do her hw ever I usually help her but by now she knows what needs to be done. I use to get very upset with her but found out that doesn't help so I decided to handle it in a calm way but nothing what can I do different?
Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Could you and her sit down and do homework together? I think sometimes they just like someone to watch them do it.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 6:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Don't let her play until homework is done. She can have her snack WHILE she starts her homework. And homework should be done 1st.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You're ignoring it everytime you ask her to do it. If she knows you're not going to enforce it then she knows she can get away with ignoring you when you ask. I'm not saying getting upset, yelling, or doing anything rash. I'm just saying that there needs to be consequences for her not doing what is asked of her. That includes her homework. Therefore, if she's not doing what you ask then maybe what she's playing with needs to be put away for the night. Maybe she needs to have her favorite videos taken away for the day, etc. She needs to know that by not doing what is asked of her she'll have consequences to face.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If she was more willing to do her homework when you helped her, than continue to help her even if she should know what needs to be done. She probably enjoys doing her homework with you. And do not let her have tv, playtime until homework is done.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I had my grandson sit at the kitchen table and do his homework while I was cooking, doing dishes. If he needed help, I was there. He had his snack while doing homework unless it was messy (popsicle). I pretended to be the teacher sometimes. That tickled him. I would test him on spelling words, etc. Sometimes I acted like a little old granny with one of my moms aprons and my hair up in a bun. Sometimes I acted like a teenage babysitter. He thought it was funny when I didn't understand the new math and he had to explain it to me. We had fun doing it. Boring is boring. Try to make it fun for her.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 6:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Set a time for the homework to start. Have a schedule.. Sit with her and look it over with her. Do it because you are interested not because it is a chore. After she gets started then you can be nearby, but not necessarily sitting with her. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Why don't you do it with her?
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We always let our kids take a break after school and play awhile too. But we always set a time for homework to start.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• your main problem is letting her play first! My son ( 8) comes home and every tuesday and thursday has homework, and there is NO OPTION! He sits at the table does his HW and I check it, and he corrects mistakes, then he gets snack, and can play! I never leavehis area of sight, and he has never questioned the routine! I would be highly embarrassed if my kids didnt complete their homework! As a parentyou have to takle charge!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would get her to do the homework right when she gets home.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011