Which do you prefer?!

Do you let your toddler feed himself? Even if it means a mess?

Or would you rather just feed him?

Just wondering what is easier, and works best for you and your little ones! :)

I personally like to let him feed himself... It allows him to explore and learn and gives me some times to get some things done while he eats!

kaitilala

Asked by kaitilala at 6:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends on the meal. If its spaghettie then there is NO way I let her. lol I made that mistake before! haha
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• at a restaurant i used to feed my daughter when she was about that age but at home she fed herself
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 6:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I let him feed himself for the most part, but certain things I give to him to feed himself (like fruit roll ups because otherwise he makes the giant goo choke ball) :-)
    rbuckingham

Answer by rbuckingham at 6:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i let my 13 and 26 month old (and obviously 4 year old) feed themselves virtually anything, even spaghetti. the obvious no's are things like oatmeal, applesauce, things that need to be eaten off a spoon and they have no idea how to use it yet. my 2 year old will feed herself yogurt, though, because it doesn't slide off the spoon.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Depends. My 3 year old can feed himself anything, but my 18 month old dd, she can feed herself, except things like yogurt, that come out of a cup. Other than that, that's why there are baths or wet wipes! :)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i do a little of each, depends on the situation we're in. he is in the habit of throwing his food behind him onto the floor so i almost have to feed him everything so it goes into his mouth and not on the floor.
    fordeeperroots

Answer by fordeeperroots at 6:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Depends where we are, but generally I let him feed himself so he can explore and learn how to use his spoon and fork. If we're somewhere I don't want him to get messy or if he just wants a bite of something I'm having, I might feed him or give him bites from my spoon or fork. Otherwise, he just does it all himself and I clean it up if I needed. He's better about being neat when he eats on his own now, but every once in a while he still does crazy stuff with his food. He's two, and he's really good with a spoon and fork now.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2011