NEED HELP/INFO to start HOME SCHOOLING (grade-K)??

I want to home school my kindergardener, but don't know where to start. My daughter does so much better at home than at school, and it is to a point that I think that she would learn more being home schooled, but I have no idea where to start, who to go to, to get the ball rolling, and notify the appropriate people so I can get her started at home. Does anyone have any suggestions?????

yomamatinac

Asked by yomamatinac at 11:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can check out www.hslda.org. There you can find your state and homeschool regulations. YES, it is a religious site to some extent (I say that because someones going to come behind me and have something to say about it.) BUT you don't have to go with a religious curriculum but the site will at least give you what rules and regulations to follow.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I will be happy to help you in any way. You can private message me. This is my 18th year of homeschooling our 8 kids. And I'm also a clinical psychologist. So let me know what you'd like to know and I'll help you along. Tell me more about your child, what they like and dislike etc., that will help me figure out learning style.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 11:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• There are lots of great resources on the internet. Do some searching, keeping your bookmarks sorted in folders: support forums, different methods of teaching, subjects, free printable resources. I know there are some active yahoo groups for home school families.

There are many methods of teaching so would be nice for you to look into some introductory books about homeschool. You can usually find them at the library or used cheap ones on amazon.com.

One curriculum that I also suggest parents look at is Sonlight curriculum. They set up all the lessons and have all the books in a package. It's real book learning vs. text book learning. If I had to teach from K up again, I'd choose it and regret not having done so with my daugther.
    katjg

Answer by katjg at 12:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Please check out the Happy Homeschooler's group here on CafeMom. There are a ton of ladies in there that are ready and willing to give you all sorts of advice. There's so much to say but not enough room in this answers section, haha.

First, you should google your state's homeschooling laws. That will help you get started. You can buy a prepackaged curriculum, use an umbrella or charter school, or create your own curriculum. You might be able to find some support groups in your area that offer extra activities and classes for the kids 1-2 times per week.

Come check out the group!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2008