• In the Spotlight:

If you had a babysitter for your child and your child was to break stuff at the sitters house quite often...

Would you offer to pay for the broken things?
What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, i woud p for the things! Plus the child should be better taught not to touch things that arent theirs! I have 5 kids, andeven my 1 yr old doesnt touch and break things that arent hers!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with that 100%! My MIL used to watch our kids until we got tired of her constantly complaining about "they got into this" and "they got into that" (they are 2 1/2 and 1). They never actually broke anything, but she refused to put chemicals up or take knives out of low drawers, and always keeps small figurines down low. I'm sure if they had went over there more often something would have been broken, in her case I wouldn't have paid her seeing as though she was already charging us to spend time with her own grandkids.
    rbuckingham

Answer by rbuckingham at 6:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Def. BUT Id be sure that she was actually watching him/her when this occured. If there was a trend then Id have the sitter come to me or find a new one. But if my dd broke anything of anyones Id replace it or pay for it.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yes. I watched a friend of mine's son several times, every time he would destroy my house and her words were always "boys will be boys" but after he destroyed my carpet and couch I told her either pay for it or don't bring your child over anymore until you learn how to discipline him. She hasn't been back since, and now noone will watch him OR his new little sister.
    rbuckingham

Answer by rbuckingham at 6:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• OMG! Definitely, but if it was uncharacteristic for her, or if I thought the sitter was not attempting to mitigate her damages (i.e. putting things out of reach or supervising), I might ask questions.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I would make sure that the house is baby proof including keeping breakable stuff out of reach first. If something were still to break then I would pay or replace it if it were replacable. BUT If it happens frequently, then I would fine a new sitter because s/he is obviously not doing a good job of watching your kids or else it wouldnt happen that much. Once in a rare while is understandable, but all the time means there is another problem going on.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 7:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I would figure that the sitter was not watching my child close enough for him to even get into something that can be broken.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i would offer to pay for the broken items, give the sitter a bounus for dealing with my unruly and disrespectful child, remove my child from the sitters care, and question my parenting skill as to why my child is behaving that way which is rude and disrespectful towards the sitter and me for not listening when told to be good when left at the sitters.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Well, i am the sitter,lol. I do watch her very well.The things she breaks are toys.My daughters toys.Shes very destructive.My house is child proofed.The mom doesnt ever offer to replace anything and its getting old real fast. My little girl ends up in tears over her broken things.And this mom could care less.I think shes rude. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• OP, you could give them each 1 toy for a few hrs, if nothing ends up being broken, give them each another toy, ect. but if the kid breaks the toy, take her toys away and do time out and tell her why. tell her that if she can play nice with your dd and not break any toys for x amount of time, set a timer, then she can have another toy to play with. You might also want to confront the mom about not paying or replacing things and have her bring toys from home that the other kid can play with, if those break at least it wont be your dd's toys.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2011