How do I get more information about ADHD?

Is there any treatment that doesn't include medication?

wande30s

Asked by wande30s at 6:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try your local library, there are some good books about it. There are ways to treat without meds. You should talk to your Dr. about the options available.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 6:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yes, there are specialized diets, behavioral therapy, vision therapy, vitamin/mineral supplementation ... all sorts of things you can do. Also, be aware that there are numerous conditions whose symptoms manifest themselves as ADHD behaviors; they should be investigated as ADHD has become the catch-all diagnosis of the day. For example, we were able to rid my son of his ADHD diagnosis using a biomedical approach and doing vision therapy to correct a musle problem (that had gone undiagnosed for over 5 years); everyone balked at me saying I was kidding myself and that I should medicate but I have a brain, was a researcher for many years, and trusted my own gut instincts ... and came out the winner. You can read my journals for some info on our story, I can send you the link to a post I once did re: underlying conditions, or IM me with any specific questions you might have. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Oh yeah, a great book you can try is Dr. Bock's "Healing the 4A Disorders - Autism, ADHD, Allergies, and Asthma" ... lots of good info and a valuable resource if you're just starting out.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• go to webmd and pick your topic
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Google it.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Footballmom85 took the words pretty much out of my mouth!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My pediatrician recommended the American Academy of Pediatrics Guide to ADHD and I found it very informative and a great starting point for my research.
    http://www.amazon.com/ADHD-What-Every-Parent-Needs/dp/1581104510/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299251529&sr=8-1

This book discusses all treatment strategies - medication or not, diet, behavioral therapy, etc.

Good luck - it is a difficult process but you can do it!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i knwo several people who manage it with diet and supplements alone. You can find info on feingold diet and other sites online if you google...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• ADHD is a behavior problem, and can be controlled using behavior modification, not meds.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011