Do you worry that you won't be able to afford college for your kid/s?

My DH and I thought we had saved well for our kids' education, but college costs are way more than we had planned for when they were babies. And the costs just keep going up.

To cut costs, some colleges are offering some classes less often - which is forcing many students to stay an extra year, just so they can get all their required upper division classes.  It's crazy!!

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 6:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Alyssa will graduate high school with at least one year of college credits. Last year, the average student graduated with $26,000 in scholarships. We will have enough savings for two years of college. The rest will come from loans.

If we had more than one child, it would be a very different situation

Answer by rkoloms at 6:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My husband and I went to college without the help of our parents or anyone else for that matter. It is better than OK if you have saved something to help them out. There are student loans and scholarships. I've also found it is extremely cost effective to go to a community college for the first two years to get the general education classes out of the way. My husband and I plan on helping our kids just so they don't have it as hard as we did.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No actually its never been a concern of mine. I am fortunate to have had parents who started college funds for them as infants. We all contributed over the years & anything we are short on my step dad plans to pay. My kids all have full rides. I just Thank God everyday my parents were so savvy with their money & worked so hard to be able to help us out.

Answer by gemgem at 6:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No, because I KNOW I can't pay his college education nor am I required to. He will pay for it like I am paying for mine. Grants, scholarships and loans. My parents didn't pay for mine and I am not paying for his. There are BILLIONS of dollars of scholarship and grant money available if people are willing to look for it. I know 2 websites that are amazing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If they are still in high school, ask the counseling department or office (whoever is in charge of credits and classes) about a dual enrollment. In dual enrollment you high school student can earn college credits for free while in high school and it obviously saves a ton of money.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My oldest starts college in the fall. We have his college and our other child's college funded. We started saving before they were born, paid off our mortgage early, and have always managed our money very carefully. My husband and I didn't have the opportunity of going to college right out of high school (we started working full time and had our employers pay for our college/earned our degrees while working) and we didn't want our children to have to go through that.

One really smart option is to have your child go to a local community college for his/her GenEd clases before transferring to a 4-year university.
    Anonymous

• A lot of states allow high school students 16 and over to dual enroll in the local community college/ tech schools. They can then take their general education courses that are required by all majors.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We have been able to save since our children were born. We have contributed equally what we could afford steadily, but to be honest, as much as I want to help them as much as possible, if I fall short, at least that will have SOMETHING to work with when it comes time for school. I mean, even if I could only save $10k for each year, and it ends up being $15k...that's a big chunk, so if they worked part time, they could still graduate debt free. And who knows...in that time, my bills will be fewer (no mortgage) and my income will likely be higher, so I may be able to handle the extra costs as they come.

You have tried, and that is more than a lot of kids get, so be proud of yourself mama...and try not to feel guilty.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No. We raised our sons to focus on getting good grades and having a well rounded "resume" so to speak from school (sports, clubs, volunteer work, community servic, etc.) so that when the time came for them to go to college they would qualify for scholraships (which each of them got several each....the applied to dozens and were given several with some being 4 year and others being just 1 or 2 years) plus they applied for and got various grants and loans. We didn't pay for their educations and 3 of our 4 sons joined the military to help with college and 1 is planning to after he completes his 4 years to help with the next part of his schooling and all of his loans will be paid back.
    Anonymous

• I forgot to post the websites. If anyone is interested here they are

www.fastweb.com
    www.scholarships.com

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2011