Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you had your child evalauated by a pediatrician for possible a.d.d or a learning disability?

What all do they do?


Asked by kimberlyinberea at 6:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 29 (39,262 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • My daughter was diagnosed by a psychiatrist. Her meds are now under the control of our new ped, who specializes in ADHD. She sees a social worker for therapy. She was referred for special ed through her school and I will learn the results of her testing tomorrow.

    Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 8:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • No because a pediatrician isn't qualified to make that diagnosis, but a pediatric psychiatrist is.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • For ADD/ADHD the pediatrician will refer them to a psychiatrist, or other specialist. With older kids it's mostly an interview of parents and child combined with questionnaires completed by teachers, or at least that's how it was for us. If the child is younger I think they also observe the child, and if a learning disability is suspected they probably refer them to a different specialist.


    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • A learning disability is usually diagnosed through the school. My son was tested and found to have a learning disabilities. We set up an IEP for him to help him.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 7:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • My son's first grade teacher had told us she thought he had ADHD or I talked to our peditrician. He asked a few questions and told me not to worry about it...turns out my son was highly intelligent and learning 1st grade curriculum was far beneath his ability. Once we got him into second grade with a teacher that appreciated his intellect and challenged him, he wasn't bored or distracted.

    Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • Oh, sorry..I should have been more specific...our pediatrican specializes in learning disorders...that is why I said pediatrician.
    My son has a half an hour eval with him tomorrow..I was just wondering if anyone has been through this before. Thanks.

    Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • I'm just wondering if the doctor asks the child a bunch of questions or has him to do tests or something like that. We've already been through the child pscychologist..IEP is already getting put in place...teachers have already filled out forms(as I have as well).Just wondering what goes on in this particular appointment.

    Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2011