Do you think A.D.D is real?

I don't. I think that its easy to say "they have a.d.d" and give them meds rather than to say they just don't pay attention and address that problem and fix it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes I think its real. I also think it is over diagnosed though. I have dealt with a child that truly had it.

Answer by gemgem at 6:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It's real. There may be some diagnosed who don't truly have it, but it is very real.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yes it's very real! My son has it and I see the struggles that he go's through because of it!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yes. I had ADHD as a child and still suffer from it as an adult. Not all cases require medication, by my case is severe and (while not pregnant) I still take adderall. The most frustrating part of not being on my medication is my brain can't organize so I get frustrated easily and most times can't explain it without a simple "I don't know!" I went YEARS before medications were used, and I was miserable. I didn't know it could pass into adulthood do I stayed off medication for a long time, but when I decided to go back to college at 23, it was clear I couldn't do it without my medications, I couldn't even concentrate long enough to be allowed to STAY in some of my classes. Some people abuse the medication, or use it as a crutch, but don't discredit a true learning disability because you don't know all the sides to it. I know the feeling to have it and it is terrible.
    rbuckingham

Answer by rbuckingham at 6:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Are you serious? Have you lived in my head? You'd wanna jump out in 5 seconds! Of course it's real. I can't finish a thought, I'm wound super tight, I get bored way to easy, and my organization skills are terrible. I have been diagnosed. It has actually helped me understand why I am the way I am. I find it insulting when people think ADD is made up.

But it also bothers me when people just use the term so loosely and claim they have it when they have no clue. ADD isn't about forgeting things. It's about racing thoughts, focusing, finishing things etc.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think it is real but is over diagnosed. My DD is 4 and has low muscle tone and develpmental delays, her physical, occup. and speech therapist say they think she may havd ADHD. She is very hyper active, hasnt taken naps since 14 months old. She flaps her arms alot and cannot sit still. They do a lot of attention exercises with her in therapy. They say she is still too young to diagnose right now but once she starts school they will do an evaluation for it.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Real, but definitely overdiagnosed and misdiagnosed.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I know its real as having been children that have it, I do however think it is over diagnosed or sometimes an incorrect diagnosis.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think it's real, but I also think there a lot of kids out there who don't actually have it but are diagnosed with it anyway.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yes, it is real. Come on over to my house and stay with my 10 year old for a couple hours. I guarantee you will be pulling your hair out then running--screaming--from my house.

My child is drug-affected (adopted, so don't call me a bad druggie mom) and has severe ADHD/ODD, severe anxiety and various impulse disorders. She is medicated, after years of me refusing to medicate her. She is in therapy every other week, she is about to receive special ed from her school (2 year process, don't get me started) and did I mention that both her birth parents suffer from various psychological disorders???

I don't know why ANYONE would want this diagnosis. However difficult it is for me, it's extremely challenging for my child. She didn't ask for this to happen to her, but this is the deck she was dealt. This is her life, and I cry often because I don't want her to struggle.

SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 8:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011