Another case of a Muslim opening fire while shouting “God is great”. Why?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/03/world/europe/03frankfurt.html?_r=2&hp

Two United States airmen on their way to Afghanistan were killed and two seriously injured on Wednesday when a gunman opened fire on an American military bus at the Frankfurt airport, according to American military officials in Europe and German police.

In Washington, President Obama said he was “saddened and outraged” by the attack.

“We will spare no effort in learning how this outrageous act took place,” he said, “and in working with German authorities to ensure that all of the perpetrators are brought to justice.”

Mr. Obama’s statement suggested the possibility that the gunman had accomplices, but American officials in Washington said there appeared to be no immediate evidence tying the gunman to any terrorist organization. German police did not initially classify the attack as an act of terrorism, but said they were still investigating.

The suspect arrested at the scene is 21-year-old Kosovar who lives in Frankfurt, according to a police spokesman, Manfred Füllhardt. The police initially charged him with murder and attempted murder, but did not rule out adding terrorism charges. The suspect was being questioned at the Frankfurt police headquarters.
He was not named by the authorities, but The Associated Press reported that his uncle in Kosovo identified him as Arid Uka, and said he was born and raised in Germany after his parents moved there about 40 years ago. The uncle, Rexhep Uka, told the news agency that the family was Muslim and that Arid Uka worked at the Frankfurt Airport. That could not be immediately confirmed.

The German magazine Der Spiegel reported on its Web site that the suspect was carrying a large amount of ammunition when arrested. The police said they could not confirm that report.

A man whose office is near the site of the shooting, speaking on condition of anonymity to protect his business, said witnesses told him that before opening fire the gunman shouted “God is great” in Arabic. Mr. Füllhardt, the police official, said he could not confirm such reports.

An American military official, speaking on ground rules of anonymity, said that the United States was not ruling out terrorism, although it was unclear if the suspect was acting alone or with partners. “I don’t know if he’s tied to a group,” said the official. “But there is enough information at this point to indicate that he identifies with Islamist terrorist ideology.”

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Why? I would have to imagine it has to do with those 72 virgins they want if they are taken out during their act of terrorism.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Why is it we never get a blow by blow breakdown of every soldier who makes the sign of the cross or says something along the lines of "sweet Jesus" or "God help me" before a battle? You're not suggesting those don't exist, are you?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Why? Cuz some folks just ain't right in the head.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I wonder if these crazy fools really do say Allah Akbar when they do their dirty work. I am Muslim and live a decent life and iits very rare that I say Allah Akbar, even when I know He is good to me.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Even when it comes up in the news alot, I do not pay attention to it much but it seems like since 9-11, all of a sudden there have been alot of this acts of violence from people who claim to follow Islam, call themselves Muslims, have Arab names but with the Muslims I know who follow Islam, there is no act of violence.

I interact with Muslims on a daily basis and we do not think like this.

How come this nonsensense of killing people to please a Higher Power, to get into heaven to capture virgins does not follow thruout the minds of Muslims who follow the religion?

It only affects those who do not follow Islam but have been told by their parents or who have later chosen the religion to be accepted by a group of people cause of their thoughts on political issues are not as they want them to be that they are Muslim.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Hrmmm~I guess I didn't consider an airport in Frankfurt, Germany a "Battle Zone"... But it appears SOME very well may.....

Nice sidestep, but irrelevant. The last OH NO THE EVIL MUSLIMS ARE COMING story was in reference to military action in Egypt. We've had other stories posted in the past few weeks from assorted locations with various types of conflict going on. Never once have we heard about any soldier or law enforcement officer, American, Canadian, Iraqi or anything else, who mentions their religion unless it's Muslim. The point is, the stories are getting tired and smack of prejudice. Are the pilots operating the drones over Pakistan in a "battle zone" even though they're sitting in a compound outside Vegas?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• There is a lot of conjecture in the article, and very little is known yet about the shooting or the shooter.

Even if it turns out that the shooter is Muslim, it may just be that he's a mentally-ill man with a weapon, who happens to be Muslim.  Or it may turn out that he's an extremist, working or thinking that he's working on behalf of other extremists. 

Either way, we cannot condemn all Muslims for the acts of a few, or I'll have to pull up all of the examples of Christians who have committed horrendous, murderous, injurious acts in the name of their faith.  It just wouldn't be fair or right to think that a person's faith defines him, or that his actions can speak for everyone who follows that faith.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• There are Air Traffic recordings of the 9/11 terrorists saying it before they crashed the planes. I just find it hard to wrap my mind around someone believing God would want them to do such things.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• “But there is enough information at this point to indicate that he identifies with Islamist terrorist ideology

Hrmmmmm...  Will be curious to see the details/reports on this particular killings/shootings...  If this statement turns out to be accurate, Ohhhhh my.....  Will the BO admin acknowledge killings by Islamic Extremists?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think ... virgin bull moose ... in rut ... 72 of 'em ... is what "they" (any terrorist) should be tossed in a stoutly reinforced pen with.

I'm not thinking anything much better about ANY one who makes excuses for a terrorist, or anyone who lets them walk away and continue living their selfish, violent little life.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011