How long will they hold out at a cost of $100 a day?

My guess is, they will soon cave when it actually has an effect on their wallets.

MADISON - The 14 Wisconsin state Senate Democrats who left the state two weeks ago will now face fines of $100 for each day they miss, if they miss two or more days.

Republicans remaining in the Senate approved the daily fine on Wednesday morning with none of the Democrats present.

The Democrats left Wisconsin in order to delay indefinitely a Republican-backed bill taking away collective bargaining rights from public employees.

The resolution passed on Wednesday also requires the missing Democrats to reimburse the Senate for any costs incurred during attempts to force them to return. Their salary and other per diem payments can be withheld until they pay back the penalties and costs.

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/117248828.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, heard about it. I think the amount should be higher, actually. $100 a day is nothing.
    Anonymous

• $100 a day is nada to them. They need to increase it to $10,000 a day
    Anonymous

• $100 will add up quick. A couple dems are already wavering because they need their pay checks,
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Aren't they all millionaires?! What is $100 a day going to do?! I agree with the anon...$10,000 per day, will leave an impact--retroactive of course! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Do they have to allow them to fulfill their whole term before they are up for re-election? Seriously, I would be furious if my elected official just blew town to avoid having to perform their jobs. I keep wondering how this would have gone over had the Republicans had just skipped town during the health care reform vote. LOL. Somehow I doubt those that support the WI dems would be supportive if this was in the reverse. I'm thinking of a word and it starts with an H.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• So, this is the new democratic party. The party of hope and change. Well, I guess we got a bunch of people who hope nothing comes across their path they have to make hard decisions on. They have changed to a party that just doesn't go to work if they will have to take a stand on anything that is remotely controversial. Just fire them. People should able to be fired. (well, not teachers......the protected class. Oh, don't get our panties in a wad....I'm a teacher, but not a union member!)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Aren't they all millionaires?!

At the state level - more like well to do professionals who are likely leveraged far beyond their means with cars and a McMansion along with plenty of kids' sports and school expenses they can't afford with a pay cut.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Good. Get them back to work. Use whatever reasonable pressure needed to do so. It is beyond ridiculous that adults are behaving this way. If my congressman pulled a stunt like this, he or she would know me very personally for the rest of his or her term. I'd assume that he'd need to be watched like a hawk, so I'd have to write lots of letters and visit his local office and call to talk to him. Not enough to be harrassment, but enough to let him know that I was entirely disappointed in him and no longer trusted him.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think they should be fired, they abandoned their jobs and responsibilities, to the people who elected them...
    I agree, the fine is peanuts, it should be more and they should have to use their own money to pay for their vacation, not the taxpayer's!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I agree with upping that amount to $10,000 a day. That would total up to more than their pay for this year already ~ and would serve them right. They still have a job, whether or not they walked out. That alone is more than the average worker would have.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011