DH thinks he may have diabetes

But he wont go to the Doctor he says that he can manage it with diet alone but....no offense to DH...God knows I love the dirt he walks on...but he's 6'1 and 360lbs....diets arent working...let me repeat: HE WILL NOT GO TO THE DOCTOR
What should I do?
Please, please, please no bashing.

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Health

• Pat him on the hand, tell him you love him,and tell him you will make sure they puree foods he likes when he slips into that diabetic coma that is headed his way. You need to manipulate, cajole, nag and do whatever necessary to get him to a doctor. Diabetes is not managable without medication. He will kill himself.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I agree with Marwill. My dd's aunt just passed away from diabetes at 42 yrs old. You have to tell him how serious this is.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Will he consider going to health fairs that are becoming common in many areas?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You could probably dip stick his urine for glucose, but even if he is + how can you treat if he will not see a DR? Based on his size, I'd say you are likely correct. He needs to lose weight through diet and exercise. If he is diabetic, he will die without treatment. Our dog was dx this week. Within 3 weeks she went from happy and active to near death. Why the adversity to the medical community?

You can get the urine dip sticks at the pharmacy-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Well he could go into somewhere like walgreens and I think they have glucose checks so he could just see what is up.... at least he would have an idea of how serious this might be.
    Diabetes CAN be managed without medication, people do it all of the time... it just totally depends on how bad it is.
    I would continue to ride his case though about seeing a doctor... there is a lot at steak with uncontrolled diabetes.... it doesn't mean he'll need insulin, maybe just a pill, maybe a diet modification or some combination of everything.
    For now, while you try to talk him into seeing a doctor, make sure he cuts out foods like sugars, pasta's and breads that will make his sugars sky high.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Diet and exercise would help, but going to a doctor to be evaluated is a MUST. Diabetes is a very DANGEROUS disease. He can lose his sight, leg/foot, and most importantly his life. You can help him lose the weight, by being there to hold him accountable for what he eats, but I would definitely try to convince him to see a doctor. Research diabetes (Type 2), and show him what you've discovered. Here's a link to get you started. I wish you the best of luck.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/7-principles-for-controlling-diabetes
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Diabetes can kill you. Seriously. He needs to go.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 7:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Just to be clear on the glucose check thing from Walgreens...that will let us know if he has it or not?
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Type 2 Diabetes can be managed and cured with diet & exercise. You can buy a glucose meter & an A1C home test kit at any pharmacy. If he refuses to test himself, poke him while he sleeps. Prepare him healthful meals. Insist on going for walks together. There are natural supplements for glucose control. Amazon.com has several available. Any health food store should have them. I personally use Dr Whitaker;s Glucose Essentials.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• by a glucose test and do it at home
    Eyes6519

Answer by Eyes6519 at 3:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2011