Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White Spore-like Mold on Ham

Yeah...gross question, I know. My little brother made a ham sandwich and threw out half of it bc he said the ham looked funny. He showed me the rest of the ham in the package and there are what look like white spores on it. He ate some of the ham but he doesn't know if it was on those pieces or not. Is he going to get sick? My mom's allergic to mold but I don't know about the rest of us.


Asked by Karinza at 11:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Food & Drink

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • What kind of ham was it? If it was dry-cured, it was likely tyrosene, which is an amino acid. Was it deli ham? was it past the date? how long had it been opened?

    Food poisoning generally has a quick onset, and mold doesn't cause food poisoning. If it was mold, and he was going to get sick, he'd likely have done so already, so I wouldn't worry too much.

    Answer by jespeach at 3:49 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • Stomach acid kills most things....if he was going to have food poisoning, you'd know by now. It's quick, amazingly so. Onset is usually within 1 hour of eating tainted food. Good luck.

    Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • It could have been fat that accumulated on top. I have seen that also, looks like white dots on the ham.


    Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • Thanks guys, it's been 12 hours and he's ok so I guess it was fine. I guess we should pay more attention to expiration dates.

    Answer by Karinza at 12:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2008