WHY will he not use the potty? WHY??????

I am so far beyond frustrated! My son is almost 4 and refuses to poop in the potty. Pee is fine, he has been pee trained for a year and a half, but poop, has NEVER happened. I've offered him candy rewards, stickers, trips to the park, pizza places, and recently, there is a Thomas and friends even coming to a nearby town. My Son LOVES thomas. He ONLY plays with thomas toys and ONLY watched thomas videos. So I told him if he can poop on the potty we will take him to ride on the real thomas train. NOPE!!! The event is Saturday and he STILL has not been successful. He just doesnt WANT to. I dont understand. I keep hearing he will when he is ready crap. I dont believe it anymore! He can recite ABC's, knows all his shapes, animals, colors, can have a conversation. He will come tell me immediatly AFTER he poops. Today I have been reminding him all day about the thomas train we can ride on, and say with him 4 times while he tried. He finally pooped his pants, just 3 mintues after the last time sitting on the potty. WHY??? I dont care anymore about "try this, not that" Believe me I have tried EVERYTHING!!! I want to know WHY he refuses? What is going on in his psyche??? I want to understand his psycological behavior!

busywithbabies

Asked by busywithbabies at 7:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• HE MIGHT BE SCARED, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY SON BECAUSE I HAD A BABYSITTER TRY TO FORCE HIM TO GO AND I GUESS ALL HE DID WAS CRY. SO EVERYTIME I PUT HIM ON THERE HE WOULD SIT THERE BUT REFUSED TO GO, HE WAS 4 TOO AT THE TIME. FINALLY ONE DAY HE WAS IN THE TUB AND FELT IT COMING AND I THREW HIM ON THERE AND HE WENT AND WASN'T AFRAID AFTER THAT. MY GUESS IS HE IS AFRAID.
    (didn't realize the caps were on) sorry.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It could hurt him to poop while sitting on the potty. Maybe it is easier for the poop to come out while he is up and moving. I know my daughter would sometimes cry a little and then jump off potty and say she is done and then poop her pants like 5 minutes later. From then on I realized that maybe it hurt and she was nervous to do it, so we would go sit on the potty and I would count 1 2 3 and I would tell her to push and I would kind of act like I was doing it too..We would do that until she finally pooped...

I am sorry..Potty training is VERY frustrating!
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My son decided he needed to poop after being embarrased by friends for his smelly diaper. But he refused to use the potty chair. We have a toilet seat that has a recessed little toilet seat. He prefers to use it. First he stands and pees, pulls down the little toilet seat, gets his step to climb up; then has me make a little he-he cover with toilet paper so when he poops, his pee won't shoot across the room. My problem is trying to teach him to wipe his own butt.
    BSWSC

Answer by BSWSC at 1:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2011