Oops, anyone else cut their own hair?

Not sure why I do this to myself but get upset when I pay for a cut and they don't do what I tell them to do. They tell me that I really don't want that. Yes I do! So I cut my own hair today and even though I basically got what I wanted I did a terrible job and can't cut the back. How can I get them to listen to me and cut it the way I want? It's not that hard. It's just a layered cut!

Asked by admckenzie at 7:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Ahhh ok. So here's what I would ask.
    tell them where you want the overall length, two inches, three inches etc.
    Tell them you want it framed around the face.
    And you want 90 degree layers NOT 180 degree layers. They are two different layering patterns.
    That's not a mullet. I do that cut all the time.
    If the stylist says it won't work, ask for another stylist. I have taught many a rookie out of beauty school. You can do the most beautiful work in the world, but if your client didn't ask for it, it means nothing.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You have the money, you are in control. Give me what I want or I don't pay you. Clear?
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 7:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Consultaiton is so important. How they are interpreting what you are saying and what you are saying may be the problem. Tell me what it is you were wanting and I can tell you exactly how to communicate it to a stylist. I did this for my mom as well. I can't cut her hair because she lives in another state so I had her write it down.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• The stylist should not be laying a finger on your hair until he/she reflectivly repeats back to you what it is you are asking for and you agree to it as well. If they don't seem sure, talk about it further until they are.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• are you using the same salon? if so i suggest changing... i have cut my own hair but i normally only do a straight cut and thats when i just get fed up with it looking like crap and need a change.... and when you go to get it cut..... tell them that is what you want and if they can not do it the way you want they will not get paid.. though if you even have to tell the hair dresser this.. i wouldnt use them because they are likely to do what they want and not listen to you.. find one that listens.. i have several that done what they wanted to my mom and my hair.. they did it once and they lost our business along with everyone in our family (which in this small town and alot of my family going to where we go.. its kind of a wake up call to them)
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• They keep making the sides long. I am too old for it to be that long. I want it short on the sides which means shorter layers. That's fine but they don't want to give me short layers. The back is long so they say it won't blend well. Not true and even if it was true then cut the back off! When looking in the mirror I see all this hair beneath my ears and on my neck. I'm not thin so it makes my face and neck even fatter with all that hair there. I'm thinning on top and need the height of shorter layers. They seem to want me stylish and I couldn't care less about style. I care about what I like and what I feel good in. Are you old enough to remember the old David Cassidy (Partridge Family) haircut? That's what I want. I guess it's too much like the mullet and they don't want to do it. I'm starting to go bald so will be wearing wigs so what do they care if I don't make it to a hairdresser's runway to model? lol

Comment by admckenzie (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I've gone to several places and even several different people in those places. Tomorrow I think I'll try the mall and see if I can find someone who will listen to me. At least this time I've cut it on the top and sides as short as I want. They have to clean up my mess but hope I can communicate to them what I want in the back or I'll start whacking it again! lol

Comment by admckenzie (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Show them where you want your layers to start, show them how long you want the outside of the cut! Let them know you want the layers to connect as well.

Man I wish you could be in my chair! I'd get it right! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011