Spongebob and your kids

How do you feel about spongebob?

do you allow your kids to watch it?

kaitilala

Asked by kaitilala at 7:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope, i dont think it is appropriate.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I do not think it is appropriate.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My children are no allowed to watch spongebob because they are 'mimicer's' My son more so than my daughter. I don't know but it may be the Autism. Anyway He acts out and quotes lines from what ever show he is currently obsessed with (Rug Rats right now) Every thing that comes out of his mouth is a line from or a comparison to his current favorite show and drags his sister into countless reenactments of the show. Spongebob happens to be somewhat rude and extremely obnoxious. This is the last thing I want my son constantly repeating. Perhaps when he is much older he will be able to watch it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I've yet to really understand the big issue with Spongebob and most of the moms I've heard say they won't let their kids watch it, have never watched it themselves. I'm a huge cartoon fan myself, so I watched it frequently before my daughter was even born. There has only been one episode I've taken issue with, and that was when she was little. It was an episode where they talked about one student wanting to kick spongebob's butt. I only took issue because I didnt' want her using the word "butt" yet. She's 6 now. I let her watch it if that's what she chooses during her tv time. I let her watch it before, but I just checked which episodes were on.

Yeah, there are episodes where someone gets called "dumb" or a "moron", but how much do I think I can shelter her? We've talked about how that isn't nice. She knows it isn't nice. And she understands why it isn't nice in the context of the show.
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 7:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I don't like that show, instead of not allowing them to watch it I normaly would go buy another show that I know they would like and keep them entertained with a tv series or a cartoon.
    Sahaira

Answer by Sahaira at 7:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i let mine watch it then I heard somethings in it I didn't agree with My youngest loves spongebob how do you tell a 3 year old that has been watching it since she was 2 that she isn't aloud to watch it anymore (she loves it) so they do watch it, but I don't agree with some of the things on there.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I hate spongebob but my son does watch it at his grandma's house sometimes.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 7:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I have no problem with Spongebob whatsoever. My kids watch it, they are 6 and 4. I don't get the aversion to the show. A show isn't going to make them bad people, I mean, if my kids were to ever mimic it and call someone a moron or whatever it would be a teaching moment for me. In fact, my kids know so well that if and when a word like stupid or moron is said, they immediately tell me that Squidward (or whoever) shouldn't say that because its not nice, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We're watching SB right now. It's a harmless cartoon, since I PARENT my child and teach her the difference between okay and not okay.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I don't have a problem with it, my kids know it is nice not to call names, there are some episodes that I find kind of cute, there is some humor that goes over their heads and it is just for the adults that are stuck watching.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011