When and why?

when did it change from home maker to SAHM (stay at home mom)? and why did it change?? Ive always wondered this...

proudmom611

Asked by proudmom611 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Funny how words change in meaning over time. I remember when homemaker was what women wanted to be called. They felt house wife said you were married to a house rather than your husband, and that you had no choice, but to stay at home, and being called a stay at home was considered rude. Homemaker meant you were a partner to your husband-he worked outside the home and you worked at making the home a pleasant place for him and the children. Then for awhile it was Home Professional, or Home Engineer and a bunch of others. The first time I heard Stay At Home Mom was online-probably 10 years ago. Nothing really encompasses all that a woman does. We're all Working Moms whether we stay at home or also work outside the home, and it doesn't get the respect it deserves. Well, not until the kids are grown and you see you've done a good job.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I'm not sure.

I don't like the phrase 'homemaker" because that's not what I do. All three of us make our apartment a home, husband included. I'm a mom, I stay at home...but I also work part time. Working moms don't consider me a working mom but at the same time, many SAHMs say I'm not home enough to be a SAHM.

I just like to classify myself as BAM...Bad Ass Mommy.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 8:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• yeah
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I don't know. But it's been SAHM since I've been online.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 7:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Not sure when, but i personally just think homemaker sounds old fashioned i'm only 24.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Depends on what u call urself. I refer to myself as a housewife.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• must be the new cool thing? im not talking about just online but in general. i consider my self all of the above...or a domestic goddes :)
    proudmom611

Comment by proudmom611 (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It probably changed after the women's lib movement of the late 70's. Women didn't want to be thought of as "June Clever" and so SAHM was born--I guess it sounds more like a choice than a "limited" role?!

Homemaker and Housewife sound somewhat archaic...I guess.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Well homemaker would imply that you stayed at home with no children these days. Once women became more and more part of the workforce, you have to say sahm now.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• when i was emotionally overwhelmed with my job, and couldn't handle it anymore and a year later i got pregnant. i'm going back to school at the end of this month and when i'm done with school i'll get another job.
    fordeeperroots

Answer by fordeeperroots at 8:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2011