Can anyone who lives in the Santa Clarita Valley (Saugus, Valencia, Stevenson Ranch) tell me if these communities are racist?

My family and I are considering moving to the Santa Clarita Valley in California in order to buy an affordable home. My husband is white, and I am black; thus, our daughter is bi-racial. I am a little hesitant because I have heard there may be racism int he schools and in the communities. Can anyone who lives in any of these areas please shed some light on this? Thanks. :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Travel

• If you don't get the answers you need here, you might consider joining and asking in a California Moms group instead, if you haven't already--

http://www.cafemom.com/groups/find.php?keyword=california

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• The above answer is a good one. I was gonna suggest going to www.fodors.com (you have to set up a password but that's it) and then go to the USA forums and ask this question under California. I asked many school related questions when we almost moved to Miami and people were very helpful. Good luck and I hope it's a smooth transition for all of you!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Where does your husband work? I'm not sure about racial issues in SC.. BUT I live just 30 mins away in Lancaster / Palmdale and we have a large mix of races, mixed, asian, black, mexican etc etc... PM me if you want any more info on the area..... crazymommy2007
    crazymommy2007

Answer by crazymommy2007 at 2:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I suggest going to those communities and walking through the neighborhoods. Also, contact area schools, and make appointments for tours.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I actually know someone that lived in that area. Message me and I can give you her info :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 8:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My family has lived in the SCV for 18 years now and while there are always going to be ignorant people, overall it's a great place to live. My mom is white, my dad(step but he's been my only father since I was 2) is black and my sister is bi racial. You can message me if you have any questions!
    Dodgermommy

Answer by Dodgermommy at 1:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2011