How much food should i feed my puppy??

I have a border collie/boxer mixed male pup. He is 4 months old. I have been feeding him about 4 cups of dry dog food a day. I feed him twice a day 2 cups in the morning (about 10-11am) and 2 cups in the evening (5-6pm) but he is always acting like he is starving. he is not skinny or anything but he is always hungry. He gets in the trash, stills food, gets on the counter tops. I dont know if maybe he shoud eat more. I have a 6 year old boxer and she eats 4 cups a day and she is very healthy and is 55lbs and i have never had problems with her. What should I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Pets

• Have him weighed and then look at the feeding chart on the bag, what ever it says for his weight knock off about a handful (Keep in mind they are trying to sell dog food) twice ad day is great! Some of the getting into stuff is just being a puppy. Keep correcting the bad behavior and he will eventually get it. Consider an in home trainer if he just seems to not be catching on. They sometimes have tricks up their sleeves we don;t think of.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I have a 4 month old puppy, he's about 15 pounds. I told the vet we were feeding him a cup of dry in the morning, and a 6oz can of wet food at night mixed with another cup of dry for dinner. The vet and the vet's assistant raised their eyebrows and said that was ALOT of food. I told them he seemed STARVING all the time. He's due to go back to the vet in another week or so, so they said to keep feeding him the same amount and we'll check his weight and tweek from there. Based on that, I'm guessing that 4 cups of food is too much. I think dogs would eat all day if they could. It also depends how much exercise your puppy is getting....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Well I am making him an appointment soon for him and my boxer for checkups so I will ask the vet how I/he is doing with the feeding.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think male dogs eat more then female.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• That seems like an awful lot of food to me. If you are feeding a low quality food, please switch. Your pup will be much healthier. Although most high quality foods cost more up front, you will have to feed less so will end up paying about the same in the long run. Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for a high quality brand.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I also have a Border Collie/Lab Mix- he is 9 months; when we first got him he always acted like he was Starving- even though i knew there was no way he could be- i took him to the vet & he had Hook Worms; after taking the meds. to get rid of them he only wants a 2 cups of Dry Food & 1 can of Wet Food a day- Maybe, you should have yours checked for worms- Wishing you lots of luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 3:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• For a dog that size/age to eat that much and act like he is starving, it sounds like worms. I would definitely ask your vet to check that. I had a Husky who had food available 24/7 and she never ate more than about 1 to 1-1/2 cups of food a day.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2011