Has anyone here made a bed canopy? If so, how did you do it?

I am thinking of making a bed canopy for my DD's room. I don't have a head board and this is a little more creative idea for a headboard that anything else. It will also set the tone for the room. I have seen them in catalogs, but don't want to spend that much money. Has anyone here made one and was it difficult?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 8:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• kinda like this. it looks here like the hoop is attatched directly to the ceiling. the hoop I used was big enough for a Queen size bed. GL!

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• http://ana-white.com/2011/02/pbs-farmhouse-bed-w-canopy.html

Love this website....she has some great plans for beds including this one that is like the Pottery Barn Canopy bed.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• That would be easy.....you take a piece of pine board and wrap it in quilt batting and then the fabric you love (use staples) and then you mount it to the ceiling adding the netting also.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• mine was a little more simple
    I used a couple leftover roofing nails and nailed the top of the sheer to the ceiling in a scrunch then hotglued a silk gerbera daisy to the center.
    I brought down the material over a hoola hoop I had covered with the same sheer, and sewed in a few tacks to keep it in position. then just let the remaining material drape over the edges of the bed. I hotglued about 13 more silk gerbera daisies to the sheer that matched the multi colors of her room. I had to spray paint the hoola hoop with cheap white paint first, because the sheer didn't cover the bright hoola hoop color. I think I spent 30 bucks.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• One more and I'll shut up. Promise.
    the other daughter, for awhile we put a white picket fence from Lowes( $38) behind the bed as a headboard. Cute Cute Cute with her barnyard themed room.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• That's a beutiful bed.  I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• DD has a twin bed right now and I didn't really want to commit to a nice bed frame right now. We have her mattress and box spring and the basic frame, but I am not seeing any age appropriate headboards that I like. I figure doing a canopy like this one will give enough visual interest to inspire the rest of the room. That's my hope, anyhow.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Thanks for the ideas, ladies.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 7:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• OH! I didn't even think of that. That would be cute, JJB. I don't really have a theme picked for DD's room. If I let her pick it will be all Disney princess. I'm just wayyyyyy over that stuff. We have to move on from that for my own sanity. I am not quite sure which room we will pick for her in the new house, so of course the layout of the room will have a pretty big impact on what I decide to do. I have a Mombasa net my mom sent for the room that she is in now (never used it). I don't think it has the frame, but it's the tulle like netting and I think it's pretty long. I was thinking of going with a nice brown / pink theme. Or possibly a cool turquoise w/ brown.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 8:21 AM on Mar. 3, 2011