Celebrities

I just wonder how long are we going to continue to look up to these celebrities and make excuses for them who constantly steal, lie and do excessive drugs and alcohol, along with partying.
Honestly what type of image on our youth is this? Are they no longer accountable for their own behavior? What about the impact on their own kids?

sondaughter312

Asked by sondaughter312 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Entertainment

• Nope, it's always someone elses fault!
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 8:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I see it both ways.
    On one hand there are a lot of celebrities that get away with things BECAUSE they're famous and have money, but on the other hand I see them as getting slammed extra hard for things that a regular every day person wouldn't be.

If Miley Cyrus gets drunk with her friends then she's "out of control" and "needs rehab" and all sorts of other ridiculous nonsense piled on top of it.
    Because these girls are in the public eye and had their start on family shows(because they started when they were young children) all of a sudden that means they have to remain sweet and innocent for their whole life?
    Please.

I think people need to stop blaming celebrities for their own kids screwing up and take some responsibility for their own parenting.

I feel pretty bad for Charlie Sheen's kids though. I hope they never see those interviews he's just done. What a horrible thing for a kid to see.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Their life looks so exciting, easy and inviting but they really are sad people, starving for attention and guidance.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I never raised my kids to idolize celebrities but what I mean is we have so many that do look up to these folk. Should there not be some type of accountability for their actions because they are in the lime light? What good does it do for our youth to see Lindsey Lohan get away with stealing among other things and if they do something wrong they go to jail or juvie....As far as Charlie Sheen goes I think he has needed an intervention for a long time and it is really sad what is happening. Yet even with him the media just keeps pumping up the fact that he is a great actor...true, I love the show, but he needs help.
    sondaughter312

Comment by sondaughter312 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Where I live, people get away with a slap on the wrist for their crimes ALL of the time. It annoys me to no end.
    One time in the newspaper it had a blurb about this lady who was caught shoplifting and who had been caught stealing 27 other times and was made to "pay a fine" every single time.
    Clearly that punishment did nothing to dissuade her from stealing again, yet the just kept fining her then letting her go to go off and steal again.

What I was saying was that I see it on both ends. Celebrities seem to get off the hook for things because they're famous. But at the same time, some petty things are made way bigger deals of because they're famous.

At least Martha did her time ;)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think us having to see girls that weigh nothing on/in every magazine and commercial and whatnot is worse---at least you can use these issues as conversation starters with your kids
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Lol, they would be good teaching tools!

"Honey see this girl here? This is Lindsay Lohan. She is what we refer to as "a train wreck". Do you know how she became the mess that she is today? Under aged drinking. Let that be a deterrent for you."

I'm going to make my kids watch the Charlie Sheen footage when they're old enough to be taught about drugs. When they ask me what the hell is wrong with him, I'll explain the effects of drug use.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think my true point is we as a society being responsible for how others see us. I know it is popular to say "I don't care what others say about me." I however don't think this is an accurate statement for the masses. We should care how we are viewed to others. We should want to be responsible as a society to not allow our children to see us a naked drunken mess puking all over the place and our lives destroyed by drugs and alcohol. If you have a problem take care of it but don't allow everyone to see you at your worst and then say screw them. That is just not smart in my opinion.
    sondaughter312

Comment by sondaughter312 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011