I had my baby boy early this morning and when I tried to breast feed him, he would gather the milk in his mouth then let it spill out, any tips on how to make him drink?

I'm doing everything the way I was told to do it and he just wont swallow

Nikie352

Asked by Nikie352 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Continue doing what you are. He will swallow when he's ready. He needs VERY little right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Congratulations on the new bundle of joy. Sorry I have no tips for you though.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i just wantd to say congrats. but i will give you a bump hope you get some answers
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• There should be a lactation consultant around to help you.

I don't think they really need much until later on in the week...I can't even remember, my son is 3 now.

Don't be afraid to ask for help while you're in the hospital. I asked questions about EVERYTHING.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 8:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'm inclined to agree with gdiamanted, but have you called the lactation specialist or a doctor to ask? Since you don't mention any problems, I would assume he is just fine. But I know that inability to swallow can sometimes be indicative of cerebral palsy. But DON'T PANIC! He really probably just isn't hungry yet. He's been through a lot today. :)

And congratulations. :)
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 8:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Your milk already came in and you just had your baby today? Wow!

Are you still at the hospital? Ask one of the nurses on duty to help you. Also request a visit from the hospitals lactation consultant before you leave as well! Congrats.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I agree with the first answer. You just keep trying and do NOT let the nurses or doctor tell you that the baby must not like the taste, or you have to try something else or he will starve. He will be fine and he will come around and be eating like monster before you know it! Keep trying and congrats on your new son!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Keep trying eventually when he is hungry enough he will eat
    MKlein

Answer by MKlein at 12:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• He is still learning. Just a few hours ago he was swimming around and it was all dark and different. This whole nursing thing is so new. It takes practice.

He will swallow. Milk is yummy and fun and snuggly so he is going to want to do milk related stuff as much as possible. This includes spitting it out everywhere.

Don't give up. Don't give into formula pressure. He is supposed to lose weight at first. Please join us in the breast feeding moms group. Congrats!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Congrats :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2011