Why does my son throw a fit all day every day?

Every day my son (2 1/2) wakes up cranky and throws a fit ALL day long! I am not exaggerating all day,he wines cry's,screams and kicks throws him self down laughs if you say no then screams at you.Connor has now decided to be a picky eater and only eat what he wants to when he wants to where and how he wants to.This has been going on for about 3 1/2 mos.I get he is a boy and 2....I have 2 girls and never had this much trouble........any advice?

mmannino

Asked by mmannino at 8:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• awww, sorry that you are going through that!! However, I'm almost certain it's a stage. One thing you have to make sure is to let him know you arent going to talk to him when he is throwing these fits. If he's yelling at you when he's mad, like "I WANT MY DRINK!!!" you need to let him know that when he can talk to you nice, like a good little boy, then you will be happy to get him his drink, but not until then. Also, a lot of the time kids do that for attention, and I would make sure to have a talk with him. Let him know that when he acts naughty like that, you are not going to watch him. Explain that big boys don't do things like that. But the more you stand there and watch him do his fits, the more he will continue to do it. Just make sure he is safe, and let him be. When he realizes that he isn't getting the attention for it anymore, Im almost certain you will see it come to a stop. Hang in there!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Thank you for your comment :)

I have been trying those things with him...hoping it will start to work and find other ways.However when I do not watch his "fits" he follows me and does it and or hits my leg etc.Feeling like it is not working and wondering if it will ever stop
    mmannino

Comment by mmannino (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Oh, man. Sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how hard that is...seems when they get out of one phase, they just morph to another, doesn't it?

Just wanted to tell you to hang in there. They can be annoying little critters and it's ok not to like what he's doing. We know you love him, or you wouldn't be venting about it.

A medicinal margarita after they go to bed often helps. *cough* Or so I am told. :)
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 8:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I work in a daycare center and see this behavior alot. When he's acting out, let him know that it's not ok and put him in his room. Tell him he can come out when he calms down. Do this consistently. I was taught in child developement class that it takes 2 to 3 weeks to change a child's behavior.Also try getting him interested in a new activity to distract him and or have something new for him to do when you see the signs of the tantrum beginning to surface.Good luck. It will pass, just a stage.
    Amilly2

Answer by Amilly2 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011