What would you do if your daughter said this?

I work in a specialty stuffed animal store. Our main demographic is 10 year old girls but obviously we get all types in there.

A while ago I had a little girl come in and she was asking about Justin Bieber. She was probably about 12. She asked if we had anything with Bieber on it and I said no. I asked her, jokingly if she was a fan and she goes, "Justin Bieber, I'm such a slut for him."

I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY. I was just like, "Ok" and went somewhere else. If that were my daughter, I would have smacked her. Of course, her parents were no where in site, she was shopping herself.

metalhealthmom

Asked by metalhealthmom at 9:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh man. If it were MY daughter and I heard her say it I would ask her why she said that and if she understands what the word means.

There's a good chance she overheard someone else say it and is repeating it because of that. I did the same thing when I was younger
    and my mum called me out on it. I had no idea what I was saying was wrong or offensive, I heard it casually said by someone else and thought it was just a thing people said.

I hope that's the case in this situation and not that a 12 year old girl is actually aspiring to be slutty or a groupie.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 9:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• well I wouldn't have smacked the kid, I would have explained to her what's wrong with that word.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I might, however, sternly reprimand her for her atrocious taste in music
    : p
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• OMGosh....I would have said 'do you even know what that means, little girl? that really isn't something you should be saying, especially in public!'
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 9:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• WOW....... ok thats alitttttttlllllleeeee scarey...... i wouldn't even say that at my age now....LOL
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 9:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If I said I was a slut for Justin Bieber I'd probably be arrested for statutory rape. I mean, how old is that kid?
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Well, I couldn't have said anything to her regardless because I was working and for all I know her mother encourages her to say things like that...

I mean, even if she was a kid, she was still a guest in the store.
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I would not approve either, but it's probably a slang that the kids are saying. I doubt if she has a full grasp on what it means. How could she? there's plenty of adult women who don't seem to really understand what it means.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I would have said you're not a slut your a young lady and should act like one.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• OMG!!! I would have asked her where in the hell she heard that from, and it would take everything i had not to flip out on her!! I would def tell her she should never say that agian, and punish her to show her it is VERY BAD! I wouldnt spank her, but ground her for a day or something. OMG i still cant believe that~!
    arkelly2188

Answer by arkelly2188 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011