How can you get your kid to go to sleep by themselves, she is 7.

nurseandamom315

Asked by nurseandamom315 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if she can read, give her a book and let her read to herself. or perhaps play a movie
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You be firm. You have a bedtime routine, and once she is in bed, she must stay in bed. If she/he cries, you let them cry...and after a while, as long as you are firm, don't let them manipulate you, they will go to sleep on their own.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My 4 and 2 yr old know that when mommy says its bed time, ITS BEDTIME. You have to be consistant, sit her down and explain the rules about bed time to her. If she gets out of bed, you take her and put her back in her bed. She will realize that you are serious and not going to give in to her demands.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I have sleeping problem with my 3 year old son. My 7 years old when it is sleep time, she will go when I tell her to go. She will say "give me more minutes" I will give her some more than she will go.
    lelly1019

Answer by lelly1019 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'm not sure. My 2 have always went to bed by themselves. We tgo upstairs to tuck them in and give them a good night kiss. once in a while I can't make it up and my daughter will tuck her brother into bed for me. it is soo cute to hear tuck him in. I hers, " Good night brother. I love you."
    littlebit1980

Answer by littlebit1980 at 7:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• my 7 year old takes a shower and gets ready for bed by 8 she is laying down i tuck her in and read a story and lights out other then her night light but i had a problem for the longest time she would throw a fit and come out to the hall way and would not listen to me at all but i just kept up with the same thing every night and it works now GL
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 7:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Develop a bedtime routine that works for you. Bath, bed, story or something along those lines. You can even stay with her for a few minutes while she lays in bed. I would leave while she's still awake though.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I used to have to lay with my 5 yr old until she goes to sleep. I tried the tv and it worked. Now, i just tell her its time for bed. I go tuck her in and give her a stuffed animal and say her prayers
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am currently working on this one with my 4 year old. I sure hope I get her doing it soon! I have limited the books we read before bed. My biggest concern with my daughter is that we broke her. Her Daddy and I sleep with a TV on, all night long. I cannot sleep without it. I lost my Dad when I was very young and when I was a teenager I started having nightmares about him unless I had the TV on and had that background noise. I could not use a radio because I would lay there and sing songs or tap out the drum beats and never go to sleep. Sooooooo, we ended up letting her sleep with us way too many times and I think she may need the TV too. We thought about getting her one but i would rather break her of this habit instead.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If family beds, and co sleeping were never done, aprolem like this would never occur! I have 5 kids, and none have ever slept withme and DH (unless sick)and they have noissues whatsoever with sleeping in thier rooms in their beds! I personally think that parents bring that problem onto themselves! Not tryin to be man, and sorry if Isounded rude!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2011