I am looking for advice on dealing with a 4 year old with possible add/adhd. At this point we do not want him on medication but I want to help him any way possible

My 4 almost 5 year old is having problems doing his work at school and problems paying attention to almost anything for any amount of time. For the most part we really do not have any behavior issues at this point but more issues with the paying attention and nervous energy and habits . I am at a loss of what to do , the school tells me its too early to have him evaluated and diagnosed, I have spoken with a clinic that is telling me the same thing then a friend of mine that is also a teacher but in a differnt school system is telling me to go ahead and have him checked out.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL.

mommy2324

Asked by mommy2324 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I think that taking him to his pediatrician would be a good idea.....let someone you trust with your child's health help you make the right decision as far as having him tested....they can usually make a couple of suggestions for you to try at home with him first, ex. him getting more sleep, or eating less sugar....something like that. But atleast, you will feel more piece of mind after speaking with his dr.
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I have spoken with his pediatrician about it. He just dissmissed it and said well he's a 4 year old boy, when I pushed it he sent me to the clinic I mentioned witch is over 100 miles from me and has a HUGE waiting list. Needless to say I am in the process of finding a new dr. The big problem is I am new to the area I live in and don't know a lot of peole to ask advice on dr.s and things moms need to know
    mommy2324

Comment by mommy2324 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Most 4 y/os can't sit still and do school work. How much outside time does he get? Most "hyper" children have a lot of pent up energy that they need to get out. There is no reason for him to be tested at this age nor medicated.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• He is outside during school and when he comes home we are outside most of the afternoon. I have no desire at this point to put him on medication at . He isn't hyper either he just can not pay attention to anything. I was just using school work really as an example. Another example is he can't pay attention when I am giving him directions as simple as put your shoes in the closet. Also he can't look you in the eye at all when you are speaking to him. I am not the only person who has noticed it.
    mommy2324

Comment by mommy2324 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If there is a possibility of your kid suffering from attention deficit syndrome then the proper diagnosis becomes a must so that proper measures can be taken to overcome it.......
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My pedi wants to wait until my son is in kindergarten for a few months. I don't want him to be on meds either. It worries me, I know that he needs help, but I don't want him to lose him in the meds. There should be something that will catch his attention. For example, my son has art. He loves to draw and color and make art, and he will do something for hours at a time. Also, it helps when my son can be physical. He was outside for 3 hours today and he was easier to handle. Try to come up with some things to help him be more physical to help get his energy out. Make sure you are always consistent. Keep him on a schedule. If these things don't help, he may need more help. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• organic diet and herbal suppliments
    Eyes6519

Answer by Eyes6519 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• There are many therapists who work with kids who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thank you ladies for all your help.
    mommy2324

Comment by mommy2324 (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The doctor and school are CORRECT, he is too YOUNG to be diagnosed with ADHD. I don't know many 4 yr olds that can pay attention for more than about 15 minutes. My suggestion is to WAIT on a diagnosis and set up a schedule and routine for him. Why are you rushing to have him diagnosed?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2011