Tell me about your breast feeding experience.

How did it start for you? Did it come easy or did you struggle for a while? Were your nipples sore for a long time? When did it get easier for you and your baby?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• This was my 3rd baby and 3rd go at breastfeeding. I just quit about a week ago. She is almost 8 months old. I got the hang of it this time, no soreness or anything. I only quit because I'm trying to make her fatten up and I just wasn't doing it for her.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Horrible for me, with my first pregnancy my milk never came in. with my 2nd pregnancy I breastfed for 4 months and then got mastitis in my right breast and had to have the dr. unblock it. So with my 3rd pregnancy i formula fed.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Did not come easy for me at all. I had a really bad experience breast feeding my son. I was clogged a lot, and started getting infections because the glands were so backed up. Everyone is different. I'm hoping that was a one time thing with me, I'm working on baby #2... definitely trying again though, dispite the infections and pain.
    Love138

Answer by Love138 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It was terrible initially, my milk hadn't come in, baby was starving. She was sucking so hard trying to get food that my nipples bled. I ended up starting to pump the second weekend of her life and have done so exclusively since. It's the best decision I could have made for us.
    MelzyD

Answer by MelzyD at 9:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I breatfed with both kids. #1 was really really hard. It was painful when the baby latched on for the first few weeks, toe-curling painful. I eventually got the hang of it, took some kind of pill everyday for the good bacteria to prevent mastitis, never had problem with infections but it took time for my nipples to toughen up, and my body finally learned to regulate the milk supply. I was engorged alot. #2, I also still had to get used to it all over again, although it was within a matter of days that my skin toughened up and my body remembering what it went thru the first time. Very few incidences I was engorged. I definitely enjoyed it more the second time around just because I know what everything is supposed to feel like. It got easy b/c I was more confident mom. I would do it all over the again. The bond you feel is undescribable.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• With my first baby it was so easy. He just knew what to do. I did have some sore cracked nipples, but nothing too bad. With my second baby, it was a horrible first two weeks. My breasts grew huge and were so full of milk I thought they would burst. I was in so much pain and if I hadn't had such a good experience with the first baby I would have quit. But we stuck it out and it got so much easier. Third baby was wonderful and a breeze.

I nursed the first two for a year each and the third baby for 15 months.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It NEVER got easier for me. I breastfeed for 8 weeks...just about the whole time he also got formula. First he had jundice and his levels hit 17.5 (close to the danger zone)....then he wasn't gaining weight he was losing. Plus, I'm a large breasted woman....so one hand hand to hold the baby and the other hand had to hold the breast back from his nose.

Over all...I REALLY loved breastfeeding...it just wasn't going well. Plan on giving it other try when I have a second.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I nursed my three children for 18 months, 20 months and this one 12 months and trying to wean. The first time, I was pretty sore for a couple of weeks. My second child, I had soreness for a week or so and my third, hardly any at all. At times, I did not like the fact that I was so tied to the baby. Bottles were not an option so it was all me, all of the time. I did not like that. However, I know that it is the best for them, I am proud of myself for doing it!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Oops now my son is a teenaged one; it seems I forgot...... :-)
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I didn't get to have my baby when she was first born. She had some breathing problems, and it was hard for me. When I did get her, we had some problems with her latching on, and she didn't want to wake up. It took us a while, but when we got home and got settled, it was like a light went off in her head and she realized what she was supposed to do. Now, I have large breasts, but we figured out the best way to feed her. No matter what, good luck. No matter what, try breastfeeding. If it doesn't work for you, you can say that you tried. If it does work for you, all the better.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2011