Breastfeeding issue and weaning tips

I am sad to say that I think I am drying out. Colby is 6 1/2 months and have been breastfeeding just fine except his squirming lately. I can go 12 hours without pumping or nursing and my boobs are not full. Today I nursed around 9am and pumped around 9:30pm and only had 8oz. That isn't much for me. I've been pretty lucky. Because of all this and some personal issues, I am concidering (sp) stop breastfeeding. Any tips on weaning? Thanks.

cvcl

Asked by cvcl at 11:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you would like to continute breastfeeding, try fenugreek, blessed thistle, and you can get a prescription for reglan. Those will all help your supply. Also, the more you pump and nurse, the more milk you will make.

If you have made up your mind about weaning, good job making it to 6 1/2 months!! You've made it much farther than most :) I have never weaned a baby, as my first and only is still breastfeeding, but good luck!!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• not pumping much doesn't mean you're not making much. neither does feeling full. if you nurse whenever your baby is hungry for as long as he wants, your supply will keep up. it's a law of nature. breastmilk doesn't just dry up if you're feeding on demand. & if you need a temporary boost, fenugreek is easy, cheap, quick, & effective. the best tip on weaning is to do it very slowly for your breasts' sake AND your son's. it's a big part of him that he's losing. for nutrition & emotion's sake, i'd wait til at least 18mos before you slowly encourage (not force) weaning. getting through this rough patch will be much easier & healthier than weaning. i'm here if you need help.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My guy is only three months, but I've started filling only when I need to, either to nurse or pump. Overnight, I usually fill up and start leaking, but throughout the day, I've got no trouble.

I would contact a Lactation Consultant before you decide to give up for sure. She can help you keep up your supply. As far as trouble in life goes, maybe breastfeeding can be your escape, it's time for just you and baby, you know?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be pushy and tell you you're evil for giving up, I hate that! It just might end up making you feel worse in a couple of weeks, you know?
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2008