Do you get hungry after working out ?

I do eat on time. breakfast, lunch and dinner. with healthy snacks in between. im kind of following the meal planner on yoplait website. but still i get so hungry after i come back from gym. i usually go before or after dinner (whenever i can pull myself away from home/kids/husband). i dont go for anything unhealthy, but i was wondering ... too much of healthy snacks (like lowfat yoplait yogart/strawberries/carrots/cereal bar.. any ONE of these things) can be bad too right ?? any advice how to control your hunger??

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It's normal to be hungry post-workout. You've depleted your glycogen stores, so your body tells you it's time to eat. I take a banana to leave in the car during my workout, and I eat it on the way home. Healthy, quick, and easy. Plus, it's filling enough for me. If you are hungry, you should eat. Otherwise, you slow your metabolism. Just make good choices, ya know?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Ya one needs to control it. I myself am a foodie but then have to make choices. You can have a small and light snack(a small bowl of puffed rice with diced tomato in it) or a fruit......
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I could eat a side of beef afterward...but of course I don't. I try to stick with fruit afterward

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i have been eating a banana or having a smoothie when I am done working out. that has helped with the hunger. But boy, I could eat everything in site.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'm the opposite. Workouts suppress my appetite for a few hours afterwards. If I do get hungry, something small usually does it, like an apple or a banana.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I agree with musicpisces. I always have something to eat after I workout..something quick that packs a punch.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I always have a snack after.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 5:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Having something with complex carbs and a little protein should help you not over do it. Some hummus and chips, a low fat cheese stick, Bananas are GREAT because the potassium aid in muscle recovery, but also, low fat chocolate milk is cheap, tastes good and has the right combo of carbs and protein for recovery (who needs those expensive recovery drinks?) I usually have a small banana and a little chocolate milk (those single serve bottles are usually 2 servings so drink half of one!)
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• ALWAYS....I usually eat some plain chicken for protein (and it help with muscle fatigue as well) after a workout.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011