Why are people from Libya called Libyans and people from Nigeria, Ghana or Ethiopia called Africans?

I was looking at the news about the war that is erupting in Libya. The annoucer called the people from Libya, Libyans but then stated that the Africans were attempting to fly out but no planes would arrive. I was thinking arent they all Africans? Oh yeah and they call people from Egypt, Egyptians or Middle Easterners. But Egypt, Libya, Nigeria, Ghana and Ethiopia are all on the same continent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I've heard of people called Ethiopians and Nigerians. Idk what a person from Ghana would be called. Ghanians?
    Anonymous

• I think they mean the surrounding African countries without having to enumerate them. Egyptians are indeed African, as are Libyans. They call themselves African and identify as Africans.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think they say Ghanain? Like Gha-nay-an.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Actually you an make an Egyptian very angry if you call them African. They say that they are Arab.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My dh is from Morocco and they call themselves Moroccan and most of the people from the African continent that I know of call themselves by the country they are from
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Egypt is connected to the Middle East so I would not thing of them as Africans but Egyptians . The rest of Africa is further from Israel and Middle East

Think of it this way.. We are all called Americans but we live in many states.. I am a Californian .. You have people in Texas called Texans and so forth.

In Africa the country is split into a bunch of states so to speak ( in actuality it is countries) and so each one has their own name but they are all located in Africa.

Strange really that part of Africa is the Middle East and other part is not.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

____________________________
    Really? None of the Egyptians I know get angry when they are called African. I don't know every Egyptian of course. But I have never heard that. Of course as you probably know African is not a race, it is a continent. They consider themselves Arabs because they speak Arabic. Actually they usually say they are Egyptian, not Arabic or African. But they definitely consider themselves a part of Africa.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Strange really that part of Africa is the Middle East and other part is not.
    ______________________
    That is debatable. Northern Africa is very different from the Middle east. I have heard Egypt referred to as both of those things. Of course Egypt is bordered by Israel and Saudi Arabia on one side. But they share a large border with Sudan, one of the largest countries in Africa.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• And we are called CMians.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2011