Is single parenting the goal these days?

I was wacthing the View today. The had Nia Long as a guest host. She stated that she was a single parent and chose to be one. Now ten years later she wants the "man". What happened to getting married before we have kids? Is single parenting now the goal these days?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Its definatley not my goal.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yes, some parents choose to be single. What's your beef and what's it got to do with your life?
    Anonymous

• I doubt it's usually the "goal." But sometimes it happens.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 10:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• marriage is complicated and some feel ready to be parents before they would be ready to be married.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• some partents want to be single..if they can do it more power to them..others don't choose to be single parents, me for instance like so many other mothers left an abusive relationship, i would rather be happy and not fear for my life then to be put in that situation again. some people are single parents due to the spouse passing...some are just stupd and have babies just cuz they want them or are too careless to use birth control..so..i don't think its a goal for most it just happens sometimes.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 10:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• not usually... it usually just happens because either their significant other left them or they just weren't careful and got pregnant by someone they weren't serious with, etc.
    haydsmom2007

Answer by haydsmom2007 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I am one, but I definitely didn't choose it, it just kind of happened. But I still have a beautiful child out if it so if I do it alone I do it alone. :)
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I suppose some people may feel they have more to give to a child as a single person.
    Or... I've seen a lot of happy kids who live with one parent that were miserable and depressed when their parents who were miserable and depressed with one another were still married. (If that makes sense...) With that in mind, some folks tend to always end up in miserable and depressing relationships, but realize they can have a happy and loving relationship with a child. Said person would be doing the wise thing by choosing to be a single parent. Or that's how it would seem to me.

Then again, I'm married and plan on staying that way until the day I kick that old bucket, so I am really just guessing.
    Either way, there are a lot of awesome single parents out there who do better by themselves than a lot of coupled parents, no matter how they happened to become a single parent.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Well, I'm divorced so now a single parent and it was definitely not a "goal". Perhaps at the time in her life she wanted a child and thought that she wouldn't meet the right man in time for her to do so?
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011