When debating religion-

When debating religion- is the answer to close the question rather than answer?
Is closing the question proof of being right or is it just a cop out?

What do you think?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 11:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think it depends on the person asking the question and what's happening in the answers. I only ask questions occasionally and I usually forget to close them, so I've never closed one for that reason. Also, I don't approach religious debate with the attitude of 'I win' or 'They win' anyway. I remembering having one question that I thought about closing early, because I felt like people were starting to attack each other, but I let it play out. It may even be open now; I'd have to look. I'm generally bad at remembering to close them. I may not agree with someone personally, but I'm generally accepting of differences. Sometimes I just want a discussion, or I want to hear different perspectives on topics I think about from time to time, or maybe thoughts on articles I've read. I have no idea what other people's motivations are when they post questions though. I'm sure some just like to discuss, while others like drama.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think it depends on the question. Personally I don't leave my questions open very long, especially if I see it start to stray too far from the original topic. Sometimes it's better to have them close out early rather than incite drama.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I try my best to get the question answered so I guess an answer. Hmmmm as far as closing a question either a cop out OR they got the answer they wanted/needed to hear.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Depends on the question. When it is sidetracked beyond the point of ever steering it back to where it was intended to be, it can be easier to just close it and suggest if they want to discuss xyz instead of abc, they are free to start their own question. It's one thing if a discussion evolves. It's quite another if a few people purposely ignore the question completely to zero in on a single word out of context.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Probably true-but on several questions it seemed like really good questions were being asked- really good back and forth but it did not align with it seems the OP was looking for so it gets closed-I like difficult conversations- I like being challenged to think and respond-I like pulling that thread to see where it leads-
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I know right? I was just about to post this on the last question and it had been closed! Haha. Oh well. Maybe you won't mind if I go ahead and post it here?

What has been explained/figured out? You would think that all those "brilliant" scientists who claim that the earth is millions of years old would have some concrete answers by now, wouldn't you? Why can't scientists tell us where the space for the universe came from? Where did matter come from? How did matter get so perfectly organized? Where did the energy come from to do all the organizing? How did life come from dead matter?
    Can any of you answer these questions? It is SCIENTIFICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for something to come from nothing.

I copied and pasted this from my post to ANOTHER question about God's existence. I didn't get any answers. Hmm..go figure.

My apologies, OP, if I strayed from the topic a bit. So to answer your question--cop out.

Anonymous