How many times a day do you feed solids to your 6 month old?

IHeartAlex

Asked by IHeartAlex at 11:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• By six months old both of my children had been eating baby food for a couple months. I started each of them on one jar of veggies for breakfast and topped off with a nursing. Once they had that down I'd add a jar for lunch. I'd keep repeating that cycle until they were eating a jar at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eventually I added fruits into the equation, alternating between fruits and veggies. Only adding a new food every couple of weeks. My daughter had more "reactions" to fruits than anything. She'd get small rashes at her temples that would go away in minutes of stopping feeding. So, with her we had to hold off a little longer on the fruits, and surprisingly, sweet potatoes. She's now 4 and had not one food allergy.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If you are introducing solids to your LO, I would have to say just before bedtime. Your LO will sleep longer. When your LO starts demanding more, give solids at breakfast, too. When that goes well, give solids at lunch. Two of my children started eating solids at 6 months, and my 3rd refused to eat solids until he was 7 months old. When they were a little older, I would give them little snacks in between their 3 meals. It takes time to figure out. Every child is different and their needs are different as they age.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Not much. Just a few tastes of things here and there. She wasn't really ready for solids until 7.5 months. I judged readiness by the tongue thrust reflex and oral coordination.

Feeding has nothing to do with sleep.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Feeding/eating has everything to do with sleep. Think about it, when you're hungry do you sleep well? no, you wake up wanting food, or craving a snack before bed. Babies are no different. Feed an infant right before bed they're going to sleep longer then if you fed them 2 hours ago, and then they fall asleep. The amount of food impacts sleep too. That's why a young child who eats a solid dinner sleeps longer then one who eats an all liquid diet. Both are getting proper nutrients, but one is fuller longer then the other.
    Every child and family are different, at 6 months my son was eating baby cereal in the morning, fruits/veggies for lunch, some form of meat for dinner, and cereal as a snack before bed, with bottles in between. For another baby this might be way too much, and for others not enough. Judge based on what's best for you and your infant.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• DD was eating once, maybe twice at that age. DS was not eating solids yet at that age. Follow baby's lead, always nurse or feed a bottle before offering solids, and know that a serving size at that age can be as little as a spoonful or two.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I started out feeding solids once/day at 6 months, but worked up to 3 fairly quickly. I never did baby food, just gave them a little of whatever veggie/fruit we were eating.

Answer by missanc at 10:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Due respect to the posters who advise giving food before sleep... but lots of experience with literally thousands of moms has shown me that food before bed makes 'em wake MORE. The ones who do sleep more tend to be exceptions.

OP.... feed whenever you want. Always make sure the liquid meal goes first: Breastmilk or formula, whichever you use. Then solids. As often as you like.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I have tried solids with my 6 1/2 month old, but he doesn't really care for it too much. If he eats, he eats at dinner time with the rest of the family. However, most of the time he isn't really interested. And as far as sleeping goes - there has been no change based on if he ate or not. The only time he sleeps really good at night is when he has had a rough day nap wise.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 11:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2011