why are parents are not over protective enough ?

elezamarie

Asked by elezamarie at 11:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think parents have become too overprotective.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think parents are way too overprotective now a days...to the point of smothering and hindering their children. Eventually these kids will be adults with no coping skills because they were sheltered from everything their entire lives.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Your question is a little vague. What makes you ask?
    I agree with Leksismommy, most parents are overprotective these days, hence the term helicopter mom. We can't protect our kids from everything. I think after a generation of overprotected kids, we're seeing the errors of that and starting to back off some. There's a balance to be found, and no one is perfect. Our kids have to learn how to fend for themselves in tbis world, and not rely on Mommy and Daddy to bail them out constantly. If we coddle them, they will always rely on us. Again, it's all about balance. I'm an attachment parent, but I also have let my son learn through trial and error, and he does stumble sometimes. I can kiss the booboo, but it won't always get fixed. He has to figure out how to move past it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Many parents I know are so overprotected they don't play outside anymore and don't get to be kids. I am very glad I am not over protective and hover over my children. They need to be kids and learn how to live in the world. So many kids today are going to be screwed as adults because the cord was never cut.
    Anonymous

• I'm the opposite, I actually think a lot of parents are overprotective. Yes, we have to keep the kids safe and know what they're up to, but trying to shelter them from every independent choice, risk, or disappointment just seems extreme.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Im a little over protective about something but I agree with the other posters to many parents are way to over protective these days you have to let your kid do things or they will never learn.
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Lots of great answers, music - I wish you would have talked to my aunt and uncle about thirty years ago They have turned out some pretty interesting children (most of which are in jail)

My two are only 6 and 2 so I feel that it is my job to protect them for now. But that fine line is going to be tricky with teenage girls. All I can do is my best and hope I dont screw them up too badly! LOL
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I know i am over protective.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Parent have become way too verprotective, and are making for a society of weak personalities, and peopel of very low self assurance and confidence! I happen to be oneof the more protective of the parents I know, and even I realize I need to relax a bit!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think being over is good to a certain point. At a certain age you have to learn to let go. I Bet its hard to do. But with me i dont think of what my kids might do or get into. i always think of other people. And all i want to do is protect them. But mines are still young though,
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2011