Dog always barks regardless outside!

Ok, so my puppy, 6 mo old, has just recently began barking when she goes outside....I dont want to put a shock collar on her, but it needs to stop!! We live in town! Any suggestions?

katieandchris01

Asked by katieandchris01 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Pets

• they have bark collars that are not shock collars...they spray citronella when they bark...Im not saying you should get one, Im just saying it doesnt' have to be a shock collar. but honestly, those little rat dogs are pretty hopeless when it comes to the barking. I mean, somebody has to rule the neighborhood right?? so why not a little 10 pounder ;)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Ask your vet for suggestions there are a lot of different ways to go about it but your vet may have a good idea about what would work for your puppy.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Maybe putting the puppy through some kind training. I wouldn't want to put a shock collar on my 6mo old puppy either. I applaud you for that.
    Latrisha84

Answer by Latrisha84 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• IF she likes going outside you need to let her know if she barks shes comimg right back in. put a collar on her and put her out side the very FIRST bark make a stern sound or say uho in a calm stern voice and bring her right back in wait for 5 seconds of silenc (could take a bit if she is hyper but say nothing while waiting) as soon as she is quiet let her back out. keep repeating over and over and she will get if I bark I cant go out and will stop. be patient though since she is just learning but dont give up. I gaurenteen she will get it with in an hour maybe little more little less. I train dogs and its pretty effective. also when she is calm and quiet praise her, when she barks or jumps turn your back and cross your arms and give no attention. hope that helps.
    Theresa95341

Answer by Theresa95341 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• thanks!! She's a rat terrier mix, and adorable as ever. I just cant see putting a shock collar on her. She's a good girl :)
    katieandchris01

Comment by katieandchris01 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I havwe 2 St. bernards next door that won't shut up!!!! The owners encourage the barking.. Growing up my neighbor had a rat terrier and he always barked. I think it might be the breed.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I hate to say it, but we have tried everything, and my dogs still bark. Some days they are worse. Dogs bark for several reasons. It's how they communicate. THere could be a dog miles away that they are talking back and forth to. Or they are bored and sending out signals to alert other dogs to send a signal back. LIke, "hey are you out there?". Others are protecting the homestead, and some are marking their territory. I don't agree with shock collars as well. When my dogs bark, I go outside and tell them to stop. I keep doing it until they do so. Consistency is important.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:25 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We have my aunts two stupid dogs at our house right now. They bark a lot. We got a device at Wal-mart called Bark Stop or Bark Off or some such thing. It makes an inaudible noise when the dogs bark, they can hear it-humans can't. It startles them and they stop barking. My aunt's dogs are very stupid and it works on them, so you could try that. It cost about $10.00 and It doesn't hurt the dog, which is a good thing.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2011