Trying to conceive....vitamins to take?

If I am ttc, what are some otc vitamins that your dr told you to take, or you felt helped you to conceive??

katieandchris01

Asked by katieandchris01 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I definitely would be taking prenatal vitamins, but I don't know if they help you conceive though.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i don't know if it helps you get pregnant, but i would be taking folic acid everyday. it cuts down the risk of some birth defects.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• darn!! I was just at walmart yesterday!!
    katieandchris01

Comment by katieandchris01 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I take a daily multivitamin, I wonder if taking folic acid ontop of that is a bad thing.....I need to talk to my dr!
    katieandchris01

Comment by katieandchris01 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• just quit takeing ur multivitamin and find a prenatal vit that has iron... folic acid..... dha.... and other stuff in it
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You need a good multivitamin that HAS folic acid in it. or an OTC prenatal is just fine. there is no vitamin you can take to get pregnant. You can only prepare your body for becoming pregnant. The best thing you can do is not to stress...that will prevent you more than anything. Good luck :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• ok thanks girls!!
    katieandchris01

Comment by katieandchris01 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If you are taking a general multivitamin, it's good to take folic acid with it. If you're taking a prenatal vitamin (recommended), it's not necessary to take more folic acid, but it can't really hurt, either. I also recommend taking an omega supplement daily, and soy isoflavones CD 3-6 - around 250mg (or mcg? whatever the standard dosage is) a day. Since they come in tablets that are only like 40mg each, it's better to take a couple with each meal instead of all at once.
    Anything more than that is overkill - unless you don't produce enough good cervical mucous, then you can take evening primrose oil - but ONLY until you ovulate. If you keep taking it past ovulation, it can hurt your chances. So if you were to take it, you'd need to be charting, so you know exactly when you ovulate.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• OH BTW, I personally dislike most prenatals because they have iron...which, in excess levels, can cause constipation. UGH. They do sell prenatals without iron in them though. They sell them at walmart, but they are gummies and cost a little more. Taste quite good though. Personal preference, I guess. If you have a tendency toward anemia, you definitely want the iron. If not, you may be better off without it.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I sent you a private message
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 12:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2011